The New York State Archives (NYSA) Scheduling and State Agency Services unit provides advisory and techinical services to state agency personnel with regard to the management of their records. We work with agencies to ensure New York’s historically valuable records are appraised and scheduled for eventual transfer to the Archives, which manages ongoing preservation and access to the essential evidence of state government and the impact agencies have on the people of New York State.
Jennifer O'Neill and Dennis Riley
We seek a student intern to perform various duties to support the operations of the Scheduling and State Agency Services unit. The incumbent will be responsible for providing assistance in the appraisal, scheduling, and transfer of records that have enduring historical and research value.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Inventory audiovisual, photographic, architectual, and textual records
• Conduct research on agency functions, use and context of specific records series, and how potential accessions complement existing archival holdings
• Assist with transfer and accessioning of archival records into the custody of the State Archives
• Perform other activities as assigned.
The intern will:
• Become familiar with NYSA procedures
• Increase understanding of arrangement and description practices for State government records
• Develop awareness of archival security practices including Research Room policies and procedures
• Understand how professional standards are employed by the NYSA
• Gain experience with appraisal of records with enduring historical and research value
• Gain experience working independently and hone time management skills
• Participate in a transfer of records to the State Archives, including possible off site survey and assessment
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, resume, transcript (student copy is acceptable), and completed internship application to firstname.lastname@example.org (link sends e-mail) Please include the Assignment Number (OCE-39) in the subject line of your email to reference this assignment.