Charter School Office Legal Intern
The mission of the New York State Education Department Charter School Office is to foster high-quality public education options for all students, families, and communities. The vision of the office is to create a diverse portfolio of innovative charter schools that produce strong outcomes through a rigorous new school process, strong performance oversight and accountability, and model authorizing practices.
Substantive internship responsibilities may include, but would not be limited to:
1. Legislative and legal research and writing;
2. Review of charter school contracts and documents;
3. Assisting senior staff in the preparation of corporate documents for New York State charter schools;
4. Reviewing and making recommendations on charter revision requests concerning Regents authorized charter schools and proposed charter revisions from other authorizers, as appropriate;
5. Assisting staff when preparing and editing charter school documents and materials;
6. Assisting in the preparation of responses to Freedom of Information Law requests;
7. Participating in meetings and conferences with senior staff and stakeholders;
8. General Office functions and correspondence.
The intern will receive hands-on experience analyzing and preparing legal documents, discussing policy and legislative changes to the Education Law, and drafting legal memoranda.
IL, 2L, 3L
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, resume, transcript (student copy is acceptable), and completed internship application to email@example.com. Please include the Assignment Number (OHE-FA22-2) in the subject line of your email to reference this assignment.
Karonne Jarrett Watson