THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Assistant, Grade 13 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Adult Career and Continuing Education Services- Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR) is seeking candidates for a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Assistant position in the Syracuse District Office. The incumbent of this position will perform a variety of paraprofessional tasks to support counselors as they provide vocational rehabilitation services to individuals with disabilities who are interested in becoming employed or retaining their current employment. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conduct intake interviews, review eligibility for financial assistance and monitor training records;
- Verify employment, which may require site visits to rehabilitation facilities, schools and training centers;
- Authorize necessary medical diagnostic examinations;
- Prepare financial and statistical records and reports;
- Prepare routine correspondence to consumers and their families, vendors and other agencies concerning consumer status and progress; and
- Schedule transportation, interpreters, readers and independent living services for disabled consumers.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Assistant.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Assistant Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Assistant list, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-11 or higher deemed eligible to transfer under section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Employees of ACCES-VR who are currently in a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Assistant position and are interested in transferring to the location indicated on this flyer MUST apply for the position as outlined in the Application section of this posting.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all open competitive eligible list candidates at the time of interview.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $55,008 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 24, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (ACS-2253/44452) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.