THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Trades Specialist Trainee 1 (Electrician), NS (CSEA-Operational)
(Equated to SG-09)
(Open to current NYS Employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Performance Improvement and Management Services is seeking candidates for a Trades Specialist (Electrician) position in the Office of Facilities and Business Services. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Repair, maintain and install electrical fixtures, systems and equipment, such as motors, transformers, wiring, switches, alarm systems, controls, access controls systems, security surveillance systems and related equipment;
- Locate and determine electrical malfunctions using standard test equipment;
- Repair mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic or electrical components of electrical equipment using standard tools and procedures;
- Test electrical equipment for safety and efficiency;
- Plan layouts and wire new installations;
- Install and terminate cable system, including coaxial, fiber optic and category 5 cables;
- Test, adjust, calibrate, and maintain a wide variety of electrical control equipment, including central heating plant controls, building heating, air conditioning and ventilating equipment, controls for refrigeration and for a variety of other equipment and systems; and
- Supervise staff, as needed.
Non-Competitive Appointment to Trades Specialist Trainee 1 (Electrician): Candidates must have full-time permanent service in a position allocated at Grade 12 or below which is primarily engaged in the performance of unskilled and/or semiskilled labor and trades tasks; must be 18 years of age or older; possess a High School diploma or general equivalency diploma recognized by the New York State Education Department; and be proficient in English and math.
The incumbent of this position will register in the Applied Skilled Trades Program and must complete a two-year traineeship leading to Trades Specialist (Electrician), salary grade 12. This will be a permanent, non-competitive appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
*** Upon appointment to Trades Specialist Trainee 1 (Electrician), the incumbent of this position will register for the Applied Skilled Trades Program. The traineeship will begin in January 2023 and the incumbent is expected to attend and complete the requirements of the Applied Skilled Trades Program traineeship, including required coursework. Successful completion of the Applied Skilled Trades Program traineeship and the training program includes a total of 288 hours of trade-specific classroom instruction, 45 hours of technical math course work, 45 hours of technical communications course work, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading course work. Course work must be completed with an average of “C” or better. Additionally, successful completion of the traineeship also includes 4,000 hours of on-the-job training.
**The salary for candidates appointed to Trades Specialist (Electrician) Trainee 1 starts at $37,507 and, for current New York State employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Candidates appointed at the trainee level will be required to successfully complete the traineeship to advance to the journey level title and salary.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $54,140 based on completion of two-year traineeship.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 28, 2022 to OMSJOBS@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (PIMS-584/27600) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.