THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Trades Specialist (Electrician), Grade 12 (CSEA-Operational)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Performance Improvement and Management Services is seeking candidates for a Trades Specialist (Electrician) position in the Office of Facilities and Business Services. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Repair, maintain and install electrical fixtures, systems and equipment, such as motors, transformers, wiring, switches, alarm systems, controls, access controls systems, security surveillance systems and related equipment;
- Locate and determine electrical malfunctions using standard test equipment;
- Repair mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic or electrical components of electrical equipment using standard tools and procedures;
- Test electrical equipment for safety and efficiency;
- Plan layouts and wire new installations;
- Install and terminate cable system, including coaxial, fiber optic and category 5 cables;
- Test, adjust, calibrate, and maintain a wide variety of electrical control equipment, including central heating plant controls, building heating, air conditioning and ventilating equipment, controls for refrigeration and for a variety of other equipment and systems; and
- Supervise staff, as needed.
Non-Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have Candidates must have Four years of full-time experience in the electrical trade under a skilled tradesperson which would provide training equivalent to that given in a training, apprenticeship, or equivalent program, or an equivalent combination of experience and training gained by completion of technical courses in the electrical trade at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services; OR successful completion of the two-year Trades Specialist (Electrician) traineeship or a two-year electrician training, apprenticeship, or equivalent program* such as the New York State Civil Service Employees Association-Partnership Applied Skilled Trades Traineeship and Certificate Program.
*Successful completion of the traineeship and the training program includes a total of 288 hours of trade-specific classroom instruction, 45 hours of technical math course work, 45 hours of technical communications course work, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading course work. Course work must be completed with an average of “C” or better. Additionally, successful completion of the traineeship also includes 4,000 hours of on-the-job training.
This will be a permanent, non-competitive appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of a valid New York State driver’s license will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Candidates are required to possess a valid New York State driver’s license at the time of hire. Continued employment as a Trades Specialist (Electrician) is dependent upon maintaining a valid New York State driver’s license. Failure to maintain a valid New York State driver’s license will result in removal from employment.
All NYSED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $56,324 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to OMSJOBS@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (PIMS-559/01057) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.