THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Supervisor, School Business Management, Grade 28 (PEF)
(Open to current NYS employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Supervisor, School Business Management position in the Office of Facilities Planning. This Office is primarily responsible for financial aid for school construction projects, code enforcement, life safety, fire safety and health in all public K-12 schools and BOCES in the State, exclusive of New York City. Under the direction of the Coordinator, School Facilities Services, the incumbent of this position is responsible for the review and approval of State funding applied to capital construction projects undertaken by public school districts and BOCES that require the approval of the Commissioner of Education. Other duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review preliminary plans and scope of work submitted by school districts for financial aid estimates to allow districts to properly plan local share costs with taxpayers;
- Review final documents for compliance with Commissioner’s Regulations, Department guidance, and general municipal law related to public works projects and ensure accurate data is reported to the Office of State Aid;
- Review and approve contract change orders to ensure they are appropriate to the project;
- Manage the review and processing of Final Cost Reports for school district construction projects and supervise auditors who ensure that State aid is only used to fund eligible construction work;
- Provide technical assistance regarding public school projects and financial policies to school districts, financial consultants, architects and engineers and other State agencies or local municipalities as necessary;
- Interpret applicable regulations, as necessary;
- Respond to FOIL requests, as necessary;
- Conduct presentations to constituent groups to promote the Department's programs and policies;
- Respond to correspondence from constituent groups, including parents, school administrators and legislators;
- Perform special assignments as required, such as drafting regulations, updating existing guidance documents and creating new guidance as new laws and regulations are enacted;
- Attend conferences and workshops designed to increase knowledge in school financial issues and stay abreast of developing financial trends in school districts and BOCES; and
- Supervise staff to ensure consistent application of regulations across all school district and BOCES projects.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Supervisor, School Business Management.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in School Business Management.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a salary of $116,844 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 24, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OHE-832/04102) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.