THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Supervising Janitor, Grade 11 (CSEA-Operational)
Hours and Location 10:00am – 6:00pm, Monday through Friday, Cultural Education Center
The New York State Education Department is seeking candidates for a Supervising Janitor position in the Office of Facilities and Business Services. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage a program of systematic cleaning and care of assigned building areas in accordance with established guidelines;
- Plan and schedule staff assignments and cleaning services;
- Reassign staff to ensure that work is accomplished according to schedule, and that staff is fully utilized;
- Evaluate and make recommendations for equipment, changes in cleaning methods, and work performance standards to ensure a more effective and efficient cleaning program;
- Prepare the annual equipment, supplies, and personnel budget for the custodial operation;
- Manage the custodial program inventory system, including the requisitioning and proper distribution of new cleaning equipment and supplies;
- Provide oral and written instructions to staff for requested special cleaning services which may include the development of training material to comply with sustainability directives;
- Inspect buildings and assigned areas for compliance with cleaning guidelines;
- Review complaints of unsatisfactory cleaning performance and take corrective action, as appropriate;
- Oversee unskilled maintenance and repairs to buildings and equipment;
- Review and prepare periodic reports, such as work activity, cost reports, and staff utilization and requirements and advise management on custodial operations; and
- Manage the arrangement of premises for public meetings, classes, graduations, and special events by directing the movement and placement of seating and other equipment as specified by the event coordinator.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Supervising Janitor.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the Supervising Janitor list may be considered for appointment. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $50,405 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by March 30, 2020 to email@example.com (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-471/01064) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.