THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Supervising Accountant, Grade 25 (PEF)
(Open to current NYS Employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of the Chief Information Officer is seeking candidates for a Supervising Accountant position in the Rate Setting Unit (RSU). This Unit is responsible for working with providers and stakeholders to facilitate the rate setting process and develop reimbursement rates for approved providers of special education programs to preschool and school age students in accordance with Part 200 of the Commissioner’s Regulations. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervise a team of Associate and Senior Accountants;
- Generate and design various data reports for dissemination;
- Interpret and analyze data evaluating and recommending policies;
- Process tuition rate appeal and tuition waiver requests and review tuition appeals and waivers prepared by staff;
- Maintain liaison relationships with various offices within the Department as well as with other State agencies;
- Work closely with Supervising Accountants and Unit Director to develop and coordinate office policies and procedures to comply with reporting and regulatory requirements;
- Provide technical assistance to staff, advocacy groups, and other stakeholders;
- Attend meetings with stakeholders and advocacy groups as a representative of the RSU; and
- Represent the Unit and Department on Inter-Agency workgroups and taskforces as necessary.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Supervising Accountant.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in any of the following titles: Associate Accountant, Associate Accountant (State Account and Systems), Auditor 2, or Auditor 2 (Medicaid).
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-23 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. Candidates must also possess either:
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in accounting, auditing or taxation; OR
- A bachelor’s degree or higher including or supplemented by 24 semester credit hours in accounting, auditing, or taxation courses**; OR
- A currently valid Certified Public Accountant license and registration issued by New York State.
For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree/transcripts or license and registration will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $102,661 based on annual performance advances.
**Note that courses such as business law, economics, statistics, and most finance courses, although taken as part of an accounting curriculum, cannot be counted toward the 24 semester credit hours.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 29, 2021 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-508/53006) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.