THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Special Assistant, NS (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) is seeking candidates for a Special Assistant position in the Executive Deputy Commissioner’s Office. Under the general direction of the Executive Deputy Commissioner, the Special Assistant will provide support to the Office of the Executive Deputy Commissioner. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversee the development of the monthly Board of Regents annotated agendas working closely with Department leadership and their liaisons;
- Review, edit and track all Regents items associated with the Board of Regents annotated agenda;
- Develop and continually update business processes for the creation of the monthly annotated agenda and tracking of items;
- Serve as the liaison with the Board of Regents office regarding monthly Board meetings as well as special meetings and training sessions;
- Serve as the liaison for coordination of the monthly Board meetings with Department leadership and NYSED staff;
- Provide briefings to the Commissioner and Executive Deputy Commissioner and their staff on status of the monthly annotated agendas and the Regents items;
- Attend Board of Regents meetings and track issues for future meetings, etc.;
- Develop other business processes as required for the Office of the Executive Deputy Commissioner; and
- Undertake special projects emanating from the Office of the Executive Deputy Commissioner.
Candidates must possess a Bachelor’s degree and have strong interpersonal and communication skills. The ideal candidate for this position must possess problem-solving skills, and the ability to supervise and plan.
Preference may be given to candidates who possess:
- Knowledge of the workings of the Board of Regents and the New York State Education Department;
- Demonstrated highly-developed management skills, including a minimum of three years in staff supervision, and responsibility for multiple activities utilizing organizational and coordination skills;
- Sound professional judgment, discretion and superior communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact with and provide information and guidance to individuals and groups at all levels of responsibility both within and external to the organization; and
- Familiarity and/or experience with New York State's educational systems and structure.
This position is in the exempt class and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of the Budget approval.
All NYSED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
*Salary will be commensurate with Education and Experience.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (EXEC-114/02301) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.