THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
THE NEW YORK STATE SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF
401 Turin Street, Rome, New York 13440
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
Senior Physical Therapist, Grade 18 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Senior Physical Therapist position at the New York State School for the Deaf (NYSSD). Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plan and conduct treatment for students with physical disabilities;
- Utilize established principles and methods of physical therapy and modalities of treatment;
- Use therapeutic machines for treatments to bring about positive physical and psychological effects;
- Apply working knowledge of skeletal anatomy, and the pathology involved in diseases or injuries resulting in physical handicaps, to physical therapy;
- Utilize a working knowledge of the effects of commonly used medications;
- Develop and implement a physical therapy treatment plan to meet specific students’ needs;
- Recognize and act upon changes in signs and symptoms of students undergoing physical therapy treatment which warrant the immediate attention of the physician or indicate the need for a change in program;
- Serve as an evaluator and site visitor to programs and placements as they relate to students applying to NYSSD from other districts;
- Assist students in reaching personal responsibility goals as defined in their Individual Education Programs (IEPs);
- Prepare evaluation reports, report cards and deficiency notices, quarterly progress reports and IEPs for all students;
- Maintain daily attendance records; and
- Participate in departmental staff, parent, and multidisciplinary team meetings and meetings of various committees to discuss students’ learning progress, behavior, medical and other problems related to education.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title salary grade 16 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. Candidates must also possess a license and a current registration to practice Physical Therapy in New York State AND one year of full-time post-licensure physical therapy experience to qualify for transfer. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter. To qualify for the eligible list, you must possess a license and a current registration to practice Physical Therapy in New York State AND one year of full-time post-licensure physical therapy experience. Information about the Senior Physical Therapist continuous recruitment examination can be found at https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/announcements/oc-cr/decentralize....
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
- Experience working with deaf students; and
- The ability to communicate through ASL/Sign Language.
This will be a contingent-permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. All fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. The work schedule for this position includes hours of Monday, 8:00am to 3:30pm, and Tuesday through Friday, 7:30am to 3:00pm.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
** This position is eligible for an additional $4,500 Oneida County geographic pay differential.
Qualified candidates should send a completed Application for NYS Examinations (https://www.cs.ny.gov/extdocs/pdf/nysapp.pdf), resume, and letter of interest by September 23, 2021 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (ROM-335/00155) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.