THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Senior Librarian (Technical Processes), Grade 19 (PEF)
Librarian 1, SG-NS (Equated to SG-15)
The State Education Department’s New York State Library (NYSL) is seeking candidates for a Senior Librarian (Technical Processes) position. The NYSL collects, preserves and makes available materials that support State government work and houses collections, now numbering over 20 million items. Under the direction of the Associate Librarian (Technical Processes), the incumbent of this position will be responsible for the description of library resources in all formats, including cataloging and metadata creation in the Technical Services Unit.
Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Create original metadata records for electronic New York State documents (and other materials and formats as required) for Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) and the local SirsiDynix catalog;
- Search a variety of standard cataloging tools such as Cataloger’s Desktop, RDA Toolkit, OCLC bibliographic and authority files and Machine-Readable Catalog (MARC) manuals;
- Create Name Authority Cooperative Program (NACO) name authority records on OCLC;
- Assign descriptive information, Library of Congress subject headings, Document and Dewey classification, and MARC tagging for bibliographic metadata records;
- Create serial records using Cooperative Online Serials Program (CONSER) standards and procedures;
- Resolve problems and perform bibliographic database maintenance;
- Produce and update records on OCLC. Deposit metadata in national and local repositories;
- Provide links from catalog records to electronic documents;
- Remain current with cataloging practices, rules, and standards;
- Work with staff in Reference, Preservation, or in other areas of the NYS Library to resolve problems or improve procedures and workflow;
- Serve on selected Library and professional task forces and committees to make recommendations on issues and concerns; and
- Supervise and review work of support staff.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Librarian (Technical Processes).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Senior Librarian (Technical Processes) or Librarian 1 eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions may change an appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. The work schedule for this position includes flexible hours of Monday through Friday (8:00am – 5:00pm) and rotating Saturdays (9:15am-5:15pm).
This position may be filled as a traineeship. The salary above applies to candidates appointed to Senior Librarian (Technical Processes), SG-19. The hiring rate for candidates appointed to Librarian 1 starts at $48,027 and, for current NYS employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Appointments made from the Library 1 eligible list will serve a two-year traineeship leading to the SG-19 salary level.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $75,785 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a letter of interest and resume by December 16, 2019 to email@example.com (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must indicate the Box number (OCE-1159/22908) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.