THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Senior Librarian (Reference), Grade 19 (PEF)
Librarian 1, NS (Equated to SG-15)
The New York State Education Department is seeking candidates for a Senior Librarian (Reference) position with the New York State Library (NYSL). The NYSL provides reference and instructional services to a diverse public and selects, creates, manages and assesses information or research resources, tools and services. Under the direction of the Associate Librarian (Reference), the incumbent will serve as the Circulation Librarian and will be responsible for overseeing the operation and activities of the Circulation/Stack Services Unit. Duties of this position include, but not are limited to, the following:
- Oversee the operation and activities of the Library’s Circulation Unit/Stack Services Unit, including supervision and training of Unit staff, issuance of borrower cards, circulation of library books and non-book material, etc.;
- Collaborate with other Library staff to resolve problems related to Circulation service policies and procedures and customer concerns, as well as, problems related to the collection maintenance of Library materials, including to the location and classification of library materials;
- Assists the Associate Librarian (Public Services) with space planning activities to ensure that library collections are stored appropriately with room for growth, improve service to the public and make it easier for staff to work effectively and efficiently;
- Collaborate with the Technical Services and Systems Unit staff to oversee the operation of the Circulation and Request modules of the Library online catalog, including preparation of reports;
- Provide reference and information services in all subjects to a diverse public onsite, by telephone and via e-mail;
- Develop the Library's collection in assigned subject areas by identifying and suggesting materials in a variety of formats for purchase;
- Create and facilitate the use of library online and print bibliographies and subject-related research guides in the assigned subject areas; and
- Provide training and bibliographic instruction in the Library’s print, microform and online collections in assigned subject areas.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Librarian (Reference).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Senior Librarian (Reference) or Librarian 1 eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions may change an appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. The work schedule for this position includes flexible hours of Monday through Friday (8:30 – 5:00pm) with rotating Saturdays.
This position may be filled as a traineeship. The salary above applies to candidates appointed to Senior Librarian (Reference), SG-19. The hiring rate for candidates appointed to Librarian 1 starts at $48,027 and, for current NYS employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Appointments made from the Library 1 eligible list will serve a two-year traineeship leading to the SG-19 salary level.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $75,785 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a letter of interest and resume by March 6, 2020 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must indicate the Box number (OCE-1172/80074) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.