THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Senior Librarian (Reference), Grade 19 (PEF)
Librarian 1, NS (Equated to SG-15)
The New York State Education Department is seeking candidates for a Senior Librarian (Reference) position with the New York State Library (NYSL). The NYSL provides reference and instructional services to a diverse public and selects, creates, manages and assesses information or research resources, tools and services. Under the direction of the Associate Librarian (Reference), the incumbent will serve as the Law Librarian and will be responsible for performing a variety of duties related to the Library’s print, microform and online law collections. Duties of this position include, but not are limited to, the following:
- Serve as the Law and Legislative History Specialist;
- Provide reference and information services in all subjects to a diverse public onsite, by telephone and via e-mail;
- Provide complex and in-depth research searches for law inquires using print, microform and online legal resources;
- Develop the Library’s collection in law by identifying and suggesting materials in a variety of formats for purchase;
- Collaborate with Technical Services and Systems Unit and Circulation Unit staff to resolve problems related to the collection maintenance of law materials, including problems relating to the location and classification;
- Create and facilitate the use of library online and print instructional materials, tutorials, bibliographies, and subject-related research guides in the area of law and legislative history;
- Provide training and bibliographic instruction in the effective use of the Library’s print, microform and online law collections;
- Serve as a liaison and maintain contact with other law librarians in the NYS Unified Court system and NYS Department of Law; and
- Proactively promote the Library’s law resource and research services to the legal community, courts, State agencies and general public.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Librarian (Reference).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Senior Librarian (Reference) or Librarian 1 eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions may change an appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. The work schedule for this position includes flexible hours of Monday through Friday (8:30 or 9:00am – 5:00pm) with rotating Saturdays.
This position may be filled as a traineeship. The salary above applies to candidates appointed to Senior Librarian (Reference), SG-19. The hiring rate for candidates appointed to Librarian 1 starts at $48,027 and, for current NYS employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Appointments made from the Library 1 eligible list will serve a two-year traineeship leading to the SG-19 salary level.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $75,785 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a letter of interest and resume by January 30, 2020 to email@example.com (e-mail submissions are preferred). You must indicate the Box number (OCE-1168/80073) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.