THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Senior Librarian (Reference), Grade 19 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) New York State Library (NYSL) is seeking candidates for a Senior Librarian (Reference) position in the Manuscripts and Special Collections (MSC) Unit. The MSC Unit provides reference and instructional services to a diverse public and selects, creates, manages and assesses information or research resources, tools and services. Under the direction of the Associate Librarian (Reference), the incumbent of this position will acquire, provide access and preserve the NYSL’s collection of manuscripts, private archives, rare books, maps, prints, photographs, broadsides, posters, musical scores and ephemera. Other duties of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide reference and information services to the public onsite and via telephone, email, direct mail and Interlibrary Loan;
- Staff the Manuscripts and Special Collections Reference Desk in the Research Room, which is shared with the New York State Archives;
- Collaborate with MSC staff and staff in other units of the Library to manage the digitization and digital access to materials in the MSC Unit;
- Process, catalog and prepare online finding aids for materials in MSC to make information on those collections widely available;
- Collaborate with other NYSL staff to resolve problems related to the collection maintenance of library materials, including problems relating to location and classification;
- Work with potential donors and vendors to acquire materials for the MSC;
- Identify and suggest materials in a variety of formats for acquisition to support collection development of the NYSL; and
- Support the effective use of MSC materials by providing training and bibliographic instruction to the public and NYSL staff via in-person or online platforms on an individual or group basis.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Librarian (Reference).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the Senior Librarian (Reference) or Librarian 1 eligible lists may be considered for appointment.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. The work schedule for this position includes hours of Monday through Friday (8:30am – 5:00pm) with rotating Saturdays (9:15am – 5:15pm).
The salary listed above applies to candidates appointed to the Senior Librarian (Reference), SG-19. The hiring rate for candidates appointed to Librarian 1 starts at $47,085 and, for current NYS employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Transfer candidates to Librarian 1 and appointees from the Librarian 1 eligible list will serve a two-year traineeship leading to the SG-19.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $74,301 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by February 9, 2018 to email@example.com (E-mail applications are preferred). You must include the Box number (OCE-1058) in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.