THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Senior Librarian, Grade 19 (PEF)
Librarian 1, NS (Equated to SG-15)
The New York State Education Department is seeking candidates for a Senior Librarian position with the New York State Library (NYSL). The NYSL holds over 20 million items in its collection. These items represent the historical print, microform and electronic information acquired since 1818. It is also the primary steward of New York State agency published works in all formats. Under the direction of the Principal Librarian, the incumbent will serve as the Preservation Librarian and assist with the stewardship of the collection. Duties of this position include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Oversee and supervise the care, maintenance and repair of the Library’s general collections. This includes binding, reformatting, and shelf preparation of materials,
- Assist with environmental monitoring, emergency/disaster preparedness and response, and integrated pest management in an effort to safeguard Library Collections;
- Oversee preservation awareness/training for staff and patrons and serve as an advisor on digital preservation;
- Seek grant opportunities for preservation activities;
- Coordinate activities between the Library’s Preservation Unit and Office of Cultural Education’s (OCE) Conservation Lab;
- Support and compliment the OCE Preservation Officer’s collection stewardship mission and seek grant opportunities for preservation activities;
- Participate on various OCE-wide preservation/conservation teams; and
- Oversee statistics, supply orders, and maintenance of preservation equipment.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Librarian.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the Librarian 1 or Senior Librarian eligible list may be considered for appointment. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Senior Librarian: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in any of the following titles: Senior Librarian (Law), Senior Librarian (Medicine), Senior Librarian (Reference) or Senior Librarian (Technical Processes).
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change an appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. The work schedule for this position includes flexible hours of Monday through Friday (8:30 AM – 5:00 PM) with rotating Saturdays.
This position may be filled as a traineeship. The salary above applies to candidates appointed to Senior Librarian, SG-19. The hiring rate for candidates appointed to Librarian 1 starts at $48,027 and, for current NYS employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Candidates appointed at the Librarian 1 level will be required to successfully complete the traineeship in order to advance to the journey level title and salary
*Leads to a maximum salary of $75,785 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by February 25, 2020 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must indicate the Box number (OCE-1171/80381) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.