THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Senior Deputy Commissioner for Education Policy, NS (Management/Confidential)
The Senior Deputy Commissioner for Education Policy has responsibility for leadership, management and coordination of the Office of P-12 Education and the Office of Higher Education. The Senior Deputy Commissioner serves as a member of the Commissioner’s Leadership Team and provides guidance, analysis and direction in achieving the strategic goals of the State Education Department.
The incumbent will play a key role in implementing strategic plans relating to student assessment, the development and implementation of New York State learning standards, charter school management, teacher and school leader preparation requirements and certification, special education, state assessments, the My Brother’s Keeper initiative, BOCES support and operations, in-service professional development, institutional accreditation, Smart School Bond Act, Early Childhood Education, and Career and Technical Education. The incumbent of this position will also maintain executive leadership for the oversight of policy recommendations and assistance to the Board of Regents in carrying out its statutory master planning function; the collection and publication of accurate and timely educational information to help shape public policy and increase institutional accountability; oversight of the administration of federal child nutrition programs; and program and fiscal oversight of student support services programs across New York State. Additional duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversee, coordinate and direct all programmatic and administrative activities of Offices of P-12 Education and Higher Education;
- Provide advice and technical assistance on program, policy and regulatory matters concerning all aspects of the work within the University of the State of New York relating to P12 and Higher Education;
- Work collaboratively with other Executive staff of the Department to implement the Department’s strategic goals;
- Develop and enhance strong working relationships with the State Legislature, professional associations, and governmental agencies;
- Implement the policy directives of the Commissioner and Board of Regents’ to achieve their short- and long-term goals in matters concerning education policy in New York State for P12 and Higher Education;
- Oversee the development of regulations and propose legislation to achieve educational policy goals;
- Develop programmatic and operational improvements to achieve efficiencies and ensure an effective program, using technology and other tools; and
- Help guide the development of data systems that supports the collection and integration of data from both higher education institutions and P-12 schools in a manner that provides for deep level data analysis that can inform public policy decisions by the Regents and the Governor and Legislature.
Candidates must have a master’s degree or higher and have relevant senior level leadership and management experience including a record of proven results and responsibility for a major complex office or institution of higher education, educational institution or government. Candidates must have a demonstrated ability to develop and execute policy; lead and manage diverse staff and constituencies; and work collaboratively within a multifaceted educational organization that must respond to State, federal and local needs and requirements.
This position is in the exempt class and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of Budget approval.
*Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Application review will begin immediately and continue until a successful candidate is selected. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-2044/08001) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.