THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Senior Attorney, Grade 25 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of the Professions (OP) is seeking candidates to fill a Senior Attorney position in the Deputy Commissioner's Office. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist the Deputy Commissioner's Office with the day-to-day routine legal responsibilities impacting 50+ professions, including drafting and/or reviewing correspondence on a variety of issues and topics, and drafting and/or reviewing proposed guidance on numerous topics;
- Assist in handling of subpoena, witness, FOIL requests, and assist in the review of proposed web guidance and practice alerts for legal sufficiency and consistency of language;
- Perform legal research on a variety of topics impacting 50+ professions;
- Respond to practice, discipline and corporate practice questions from professionals, attorneys and members of the public;
- Assist in the drafting and review Regents' rules and Commissioner's regulations along with supporting materials;
- Assist with the oversight and management of legal issues as they pertain to professional practice entities, corporate practice waivers, psychoanalytic institutes and commissioner consent applications for Not-for-profit, IP As and Education Corporations; and
- Assist in the oversight and coordination of the Committee on the Professions' approval of disciplinary consent agreements.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Attorney.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Legal Specialties Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Senior Attorney: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Attorney (Realty). For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 52.6 Transfer to Senior Attorney: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-23 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law AND possess a Juris Doctorate degree AND be admitted to the Bar to practice law in New York State or in a state with Bar reciprocity. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
55 b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55 b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55 b/c eligibility letter.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree, Bar admission and work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Candidates are required to possess and maintain admission to the New York State Bar. Failure to maintain an active registration to the New York State Bar will result in removal from employment. This position will require 10% in-state travel.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $111,111 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OP-1540/21225) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.