THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Senior Attorney, Grade 25 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s is seeking candidates for a Senior Attorney position in the Office of the Chief Privacy Officer (CPO). This Office oversees the Department’s cybersecurity and data privacy programs. The incumbent of this position will provide legal advice and opinions on issues related to data privacy and security. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conduct legal, policy and legislative research and analysis and develop policy recommendations related to statutory and regulatory requirements and provide input on related legislative matters;
- Review contracts and procurement documents such as requests for quotes/proposals to ensure compliance with applicable State and federal data privacy and security laws and regulations such as the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), NYS Education Law §2-d, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), and where applicable, draft data privacy and security terms and conditions for use in contracts with vendors;
- Maintain knowledge and experience relating to data privacy, data protection and cybersecurity related laws, regulations, and policies;
- Support the Department’s programs and processes to ensure compliance with applicable State and federal data privacy and security laws and regulations such as its data privacy governance program;
- Support the CPO’s outreach to school districts and other educational agencies related to compliance with applicable State and federal data privacy and security laws and regulations;
- Investigate the facts, analyze the applicable laws, and prepare written legal analysis and findings related to complaints of unauthorized or improper disclosure of personally identifiable information submitted to the Chief Privacy Officer;
- Review and assist in the preparation of legislation and regulations relating to data privacy and security; and
- Assist with other duties as assigned by the CPO.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Attorney.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Legal Specialties Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Senior Attorney: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Attorney (Realty). For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 52.6 Transfer to Senior Attorney: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-23 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law AND possess a Juris Doctorate degree AND be admitted to the Bar to practice law in New York State or in a state with Bar reciprocity. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
55 b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55 b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55 b/c eligibility letter.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree, Bar admission and work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Candidates are required to possess and maintain admission to the New York State Bar. Failure to maintain an active registration to the New York State Bar will result in removal from employment.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $102,661 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (EXEC-83/21909) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by SED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.