THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Senior Attorney, M1 (Management/Confidential)
Assistant Attorney 1, NS (Equated to SG-18)
Assistant Attorney 2, NS (Equated to SG-20)
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is seeking candidates for a Senior Attorney position in the Office of Human Resources Management (OHRM). This Office provides personnel, staff development, labor relations and employee benefits services to staff in all program areas within NYSED. Under the direction of the Associate Director of Human Resources 3 (Labor Relations), the incumbent will provide legal assistance and support to OHRM’s Labor Relations program. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervise and assign work to subordinate staff, adjusting staff workloads as needed;
- Monitor and review completed work and serve as a mentor and trainer to subordinate staff;
- Administer advanced employee discipline for all cases in which the penalty of termination has been requested;
- Investigate and process complex employee grievances;
- Investigate allegations of sexual harassment;
- Conduct all investigations in which physical assault or neglect has been alleged, including cases referred by the Justice Center;
- Research contractual issues and provide complex technical advice to NYSED directors and program managers regarding the implementation of negotiated contracts;
- Represent NYSED’s interests at all contractual disciplinary hearings in which termination has been requested, and all hearings conducted pursuant to the NYS Civil Service law;
- Prepare for judicial or administrative proceedings by reviewing cases, discussing strategy, coordinating investigations, examining case folders, conferring with program officials, preparing legal memoranda and issuing subpoenas;
- Present or try cases at proceedings by preparing opening statements and summations, arguing motions, examining witnesses, consulting with parties to the proceeding, examining evidence, preparing briefs, negotiating settlements, preparing appeals and advising superiors;
- Assist other NYSED Counsel at hearings involving NYSED staff pursuant to the NYS Human Rights Law, and participate in all investigation meetings conducted by the NYS Division of Human Rights;
- Conduct legal research of statutes, decisions, opinions and other legal sources;
- Develop training and reference materials on topics related to NYS labor contracts;
- Provide advice and formal training to NYSED managers on topics related to NYS labor laws and collectively bargained labor agreements; and
- Represent NYSED at agency-level labor/management committee meetings when the Associate Director of Human Resources 3 (Labor Relations) is not available.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Attorney.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Legal Specialties Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Senior Attorney: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Attorney (Realty).
Section 52.6 Transfer to Senior Attorney: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-23 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law AND possess a Juris Doctorate degree AND be admitted to the Bar to practice law in New York State or in a state with Bar reciprocity. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
This position may be filled as a traineeship. For more information regarding the traineeship, please visit the Legal Specialties Continuous Recruitment Exam announcement. Verification of degree, Bar admission status and work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Candidates appointed to Assistant Attorney 1 will be required to obtain admission and to maintain an active registration to the New York State Bar within one year of service. Candidates appointed to Assistant Attorney 1 who fail to obtain admission and to maintain an active registration to the New York State Bar within one year of service will be removed from employment. Candidates appointed to Assistant Attorney 2, Assistant Attorney 3, or Senior Attorney are required to possess and maintain admission to the New York State Bar at time of hire. Candidates appointed to Assistant Attorney 2, Assistant Attorney 3, or Senior Attorney who fail to maintain an active registration to the New York State Bar will be removed from employment.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $102,093 with annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by November 20, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (Email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (EXEC-23/00012) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.