THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Senior Attorney, Grade 25 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Professions (OP) is seeking to fill a Senior Attorney position in the Office of Professional Discipline (OPD). Under the direction of OPD management and a supervising attorney, duties of this position include, but are not be limited to, the following:
- Participate in the development and review of investigations into allegations of professional misconduct;
- Provide legal advice to OPD investigators and members of the various state boards for the professions;
- Engage in settlement negotiations in professional misconduct cases;
- Prepare for hearing and try before panels of the various state boards, professional misconduct cases, moral character cases involving individuals seeking licensure, and restoration of license cases involving individuals whose licenses have been previously revoked or surrendered;
- Represent OPD before the Regents Review Committee, which reviews decisions of hearing panels in professional misconduct cases;
- Research and prepare briefs, memoranda of law, specifications of professional misconduct, other legal pleadings, internal memoranda, and correspondence. Effective and timely management of a caseload is expected;
- Interact courteously and effectively with members of the Board of Regents and the various state professional boards, other SED staff, opposing counsel, witnesses, and members of the public; and
- Frequent travel within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as occasional travel, including overnight, to other locations.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Attorney.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Legal Specialties Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Senior Attorney: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Attorney (Realty). For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 52.6 Transfer to Senior Attorney: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-23 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law AND possess a Juris Doctorate degree AND be admitted to the Bar to practice law in New York State or in a state with Bar reciprocity. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree, Bar admission and work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Candidates are required to possess and maintain admission to the New York State Bar. Failure to maintain an active registration to the New York State Bar will result in removal from employment.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $102,661 based on annual performance advances.
** This salary includes a $3,026 Downstate adjustment.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by July 31, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1210/00145) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.