THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Senior Attorney, Grade 25 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking applicants for a Senior Attorney position in the Office of Educator Quality and Professional Development. The incumbent of this position will assist in providing legal advice and services to the New York State Board of Regents, Commissioner of Education, and Department staff on issues relating to implementation of the State’s educator quality initiatives, including the teacher and principal evaluation system. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review and provide legal advice and counsel on issues regarding compliance with applicable State and federal laws and regulations to SED staff and managers;
- Provide guidance to school districts and BOCES in their compliance with and implementation of annual professional performance reviews (APPRs) of teachers and principals;
- Review and assist in the preparation of legislation, regulations, and guidance relating to APPRs, New York State’s 2015 Equity Plan as approved by the United State Department of Education, Title II, Part A of New York State’s Every Student Succeeds Act plan, and other teacher and principal quality initiatives;
- Provide leadership to a professional team in the review of APPRs, Requests for Qualifications and Proposals, waiver applications, and other documentation submitted by school districts and BOCES and provide feedback to school districts and BOCES to ensure compliance with applicable State laws and regulations;
- Address questions from the field seeking guidance on APPR implementation as well as analyzing inquiries to monitor trends and policy issues for purposes of providing ongoing guidance to school districts and BOCES;
- Develop and maintain tools, guidance, metrics, and other resources related to APPRs;
- Support SED staff in research, analysis, and preparation of materials for meetings with senior leadership;
- Develop recommendations for monitoring school districts and BOCES as required under State laws and regulations;
- Communicate with districts and BOCES to substantiate, as well as follow-up on, implementation issues, advise senior leadership, and recommend further action to ensure compliance with applicable State laws and regulations;
- Analyze educator evaluation data in conjunction with documented implementation issues in order to provide recommendations to senior leadership on appropriate monitoring actions; and
- Provide leadership to professional staff engaged in ongoing efforts to ensure high quality implementation of school district and BOCES evaluation systems, including thorough review of documentation and other artifacts and provision of technical assistance.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Attorney.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Attorney (Realty).
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-23 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law AND possess a Juris Doctorate degree AND be admitted to the Bar to practice law in New York State or in a state with Bar reciprocity.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $102,661 with annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by July 3, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OHE-690/00117) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.