THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Senior Attorney, Grade 25 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Performance Improvement and Management Services’ Office of State Review (OSR) is seeking applicants for a Senior Attorney position. The OSR is responsible for reviewing the decisions of impartial hearing officers concerning the identification, evaluation, program or placement of children who have, or are suspected of having, an educational disability. The incumbent will work under the direction of the State Review Officer. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintain an expertise in special education law, legal research, and legal writing;
- Analyze the facts and laws in each appeal in light of the extensive procedural and substantive provisions of federal and State law relating to children with disabilities;
- Prepare written draft decisions which accurately identify the factual and legal issues to be determined, and make recommendations in a clear, concise, and logical manner;
- Manage assignments to ensure timely completion of quality decisions; and
- Work collaboratively and effectively with other staff.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Attorney.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Attorney (Realty).
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-23 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law AND possess a Juris Doctorate degree AND be admitted to the Bar to practice law in New York State or in a state with Bar reciprocity.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $100,645 with annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by March 29, 2018 to email@example.com. (Email submissions preferred.) You must include the Box number (PIMS-306/21912) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.