THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Senior Attorney, Grade 25 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Professions is seeking candidates for a Senior Attorney position in the Office of Professional Discipline (OPD), Prosecutions Division. The incumbent of this position will be responsible for prosecuting licensed professionals for professional misconduct involving the 50+ state-licensed professions. The incumbent will also represent the Department at moral character hearings for individuals seeking licensure and restoration of license hearings for individuals whose licenses have been previously revoked or surrendered. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide legal advice to OPD investigators and members of the various State boards for the professions;
- Engage in settlement negotiations in professional misconduct cases;
- Prepare for hearings and trials before panels of the various State boards, professional misconduct cases, moral character cases for individuals seeking licensure, and restoration of license cases for individuals whose licenses have been previously revoked or surrendered;
- Represent OPD before the Regents Review Committee, which reviews decisions of hearing panels in professional misconduct cases;
- Oversee the work product of legal assistants and interns;
- Research and prepare well-written briefs, memoranda of law, specifications of professional misconduct, internal memoranda, and other legal pleadings and correspondence;
- Ensure the effective and timely management of all caseloads; and
- Interact courteously and effectively with members of the Board of Regents, the various State professional boards, SED staff, opposing counsel, witnesses and member of the public.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Attorney.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Attorney (Realty).
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-23 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law AND possess a Juris Doctorate degree AND be admitted to the Bar to practice law in New York State or in a state with Bar reciprocity.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required at the time of interview for all candidates applying via Section 52.6 transfer or via the eligible list.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $100,645 with annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by March 6, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1104) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.