THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Senior Architect, Grade 24 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Senior Architect position in the Office of Facilities Planning. This Office is primarily responsible for code enforcement, life safety, fire safety and health in all public K-12 schools and BOCES in the State, exclusive of New York City. Under the direction of an Associate Architect, the incumbent will be responsible for review and approval of architectural construction documents for capital construction undertaken by public school districts and BOCES that require the approval of the Commissioner of Education. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversee the annual fire safety and fire inspection reporting process for all schools in New York State, according to Commissioner’s Regulations, including authorizing the issuance of Certificates of Occupancy;
- Serve as the central contact and technical expert for all life and health safety issues that arise in schools across the State, and coordinate the Department’s efforts with other regulatory agencies that have health and safety oversight such as the NYSDOH, NYSDEC, and the NYSDOL;
- Serve as Department’s representative for the Office of Emergency Management Services in the event a major disaster requires staff to be assigned to the State Emergency Operations Center;
- Conduct research and/or coordinate training activities and presentations for school facility related issues such as emergency planning, radon, lead paint, asbestos, mercury, pesticide use, carbon monoxide, etc.;
- Conduct field visits and inspections as required to investigate code compliance, complaints, or emergency conditions, and provide on-site technical advice;
- Review construction plans and specifications for conformance with applicable codes and standards, and meet with School Administrators, their design professionals, and fellow Department engineers, architects, and project managers to resolve project concerns;
- Review and draft responses for legislative initiatives, draft newsletter articles for the field, and draft regulations, as required; and
- Correspond with various concerned citizens, administrators, consultants, and parents to help resolve facility conditions through phone, email and written correspondence.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Architect.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Senior Architect. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in one of the following titles: Facilities Planner 2 or Professional Engineer 1 Civil/Construction. Candidates must also possess a New York State Professional Architect license and current registration to qualify for transfer.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant Architect, SG-20, AND possession of a New York State Professional Architects license and current registration. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Senior Architect when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
This will be a contingent permanent competitive or temporary provisional appointment. This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Senior Architect when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of New York State Professional Architect license and current registration will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Candidates are required to possess New York State Professional Architect’s license and current registration at the time of hire. Continued employment as a Senior Architect is dependent upon maintaining New York State Professional Architect’s license and current registration. Failure to maintain New York State Professional Architect’s license and current registration will result in removal from employment. This position will require occasional (10%) in-state travel.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $103,405 based on annual performance advances.
All SED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 8, 2021 to OHEjobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OHE-895/04333) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.