THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Senior Architect, Grade 24 (PEF)
(Open to current NYS Employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Senior Architect position in the Office of Facilities Planning. This Office is primarily responsible for code enforcement, life safety, fire safety and health in all public K-12 schools and BOCES in the State, exclusive of New York City. Under the direction of an Associate Architect, the incumbent of this position will be responsible for review and approval of architectural construction documents for capital construction undertaken by public school districts and BOCES that require the approval of the Commissioner of Education. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review preliminary plans and specifications submitted by school districts for approval prior to proceeding with final documents in an attempt to avoid costly errors;
- Review bid documents for compliance with the NYS Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code as well as compliance with the Commissioner’s health and safety regulations and the Department’s Manual of Planning Standards prior to the issuance of a building permit;
- Review and approve contract change orders submitted for previously approved projects;
- Provide technical assistance to school districts, architects and engineers working on public school projects;
- Interpret building codes and Manual of Planning Standards where necessary;
- Conduct presentations to constituent groups to promote the Department's programs and policies;
- Respond to correspondence from a wide range of individuals, including parents, school administrators and legislators;
- Conduct field visits and inspections, as required to investigate code compliance, complaints or emergency conditions and provide on-site technical advice; and
- Attend conferences and workshops designed to increase knowledge in school architectural issues and to stay informed on developing industry trends and code revisions.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Architect.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Senior Architect. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in one of the following titles: Facilities Planner 2 or Professional Engineer 1 Civil/Construction. Candidates must also possess a New York State Professional Architect license and current registration to qualify for transfer.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant Architect, SG-20, AND possession of a New York State Professional Architects license and current registration. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Senior Architect when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
This will be a permanent competitive or temporary provisional appointment. This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Senior Architect when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of New York State Professional Architect license and current registration will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Candidates are required to possess New York State Professional Architect’s license and current registration at the time of hire. Continued employment as a Senior Architect is dependent upon maintaining New York State Professional Architect’s license and current registration. Failure to maintain New York State Professional Architect’s license and current registration will result in removal from employment. This position will require occasional (10%) in-state travel.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $97,448 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to OHEjobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. You must include the Box number (OHE-856/04402) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by SED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.