THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Senior Accountant, Grade 18 (PEF)
Accountant Trainee 1, NS (Equated to SG-14)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of the Chief Financial Officer is seeking candidates for two Senior Accountant positions in the Office of State Aid. Duties of these positions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in development of the financial data collection document in BOCES or the ST-3 and edits to ensure accuracy;
- Provide technical assistance to BOCES, school districts, the Legislature, the Division of Budget, or other State agencies and other interested parties regarding the collection and reporting of the district and BOCES financial data;
- Assist in the preparation of the required annual financial reports for the Federal government, as well as handling other special requests;
- Process and review supplementary financial reports including, but not limited to, leases, rentals, capital construction, and others;
- Support associate accountant in managing state aid webpages and draft material to provide support and guidance to districts and BOCES;
- Maintain a working knowledge of state aid financial systems, such as SAMS, PMIS, BUFI, EFRT, Excel, and Access;
- Review submitted financial data to ensure that the data is accurate and contact the districts to correct errors prior to its utilization in State Aid calculations and estimates; and,
- Perform annual claim verification projects on a risk adjusted basis to review district data submissions and provide a deeper level of review.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Accountant.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Professional Career Opportunities Select Job Titles eligible list for Senior Accountant or Accountant Trainee 1. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Accountant Trainee 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-12 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law AND possess 24 semester credit hours in accounting, auditing, or taxation courses. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Senior Accountant: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-16 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law AND possess 24 semester credit hours in accounting, auditing, or taxation courses. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.4 Transfer to Accountant Trainee 1: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for transfer under Section 70.4 of the Civil Service Law to Accountant Trainee 1 if they are a current NYS employee with one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title SG-12 or higher AND have standing on the Professional Career Opportunities Select Job Titles eligible list for this title AND possess a bachelor’s degree AND 24 semester credit hours in accounting, auditing, or taxation courses.***
55b/c Appointment: These positions are eligible for 55b/c designation and are subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
These will be permanent appointments. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree/work history will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
**These positions may be filled as a traineeship. The salary above applies to candidates appointed to Senior Accountant, SG-18. The salary for candidates appointed to Accountant Trainee 1 starts at $49,202 and, for current New York State employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Candidates appointed at the trainee level will be required to successfully complete the traineeship to advance to the journey level title and salary.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $77,912 based on annual performance advances.
*** Note that courses such as business law, economics, statistics, and most finance courses, although taken as part of an accounting curriculum, cannot be counted toward the 24 semester credit hours.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 7, 2022 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include one of the box numbers (CFO-552/04252 or CFO-553/04253) of the positions in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.