THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Secretary 2, Grade 15 (Management/Confidential)
(Open to Current NYS Employees Only)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of the Professions (OP) is seeking candidates for a Secretary 2 position in the Office of Professional Responsibility for the Deputy Commissioner’s Office. Under the direction of the Director of Operations, the incumbent will provide assistance across the 50+ professions that are licensed and overseen by the Office of the Professions. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work independently to prepare, gather and coordinate materials required by the Deputy Commissioner and Director of Operations;
- Work independently to generate correspondence, reports and other documents, in any of the various electronic formats, as required;
- Review and proofread reports and correspondence prepared for the Deputy Commissioner’s signature;
- Respond to telephone calls and e-mail inquiries on issues related to the Professions;
- Act as liaison between the Deputy’s Office and representatives of other State agencies, Department executive staff, members of the Board of Regents, the Legislature, and the general public;
- Coordinate, gather and prepare items for submission to the Board of Regents for their monthly meetings, including preparation of briefing memos and background materials, and review and revision of regulatory, disciplinary, and other official documents;
- Prepare and post discipline summaries; distribute final disciplinary actions as appropriate;
- Coordinate scheduling, distribution and retention of documents for International Medical School Advisory Committee; and
- Assist in gathering information and providing support to OP’s Modernization effort as needed.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Secretary 2.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-13 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. Candidates must also be able to pass a typing proficiency exam.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $64,414 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by November 20, 2019 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1244/15117) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.