THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Research and Collections Technician, Grade 14 (PEF)
The State Education Department’s New York State Museum is seeking candidates for a Research and Collections Technician position. Under the supervision of a Museum Scientist 4, the Research and Collections Technician will perform duties in support of the curation of the Museum’s paleontology collection. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversee volunteer and intern work in the collections;
- Clean, organize, label, and rehouse fossils and associated documentation;
- Identify and catalogue fossils (mainly invertebrate and paleobotanical specimens);
- Determine fossil provenances from collectors’ documentation;
- Create digital images of fossils and documents;
- Enter data and images into electronic databases;
- Assist with educational research activities related to the collections; and
- Process collection loan requests.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent, non-competitive service as a Research and Collections Technician.
Non-Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have a bachelors degree including or supplemented by 18 semester credit hours in archeology, anthropology, history, or in one of the natural sciences (biology, zoology, geology) AND one year of experience assisting in scientific or historical research in the field or in artifact/specimen care and maintenance in a laboratory or a museum.
Preferred Qualifications: Preference may be given to candidates who have a Bachelors degree in Geology or Biology plus two years of collection experience or a Masters degree in Geology or Biology. Preference may also will be given to candidates with experience with invertebrate fossils and/or paleobotany collections.
This will be a permanent, non-competitive appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $58,028 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 25, 2019 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OCE-1157/29122) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.