THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Project Director, NS (PEF)
(Equated to SG-31)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Performance Improvement and Management Services is seeking candidates for a Project Director position in the Office of Information Technology Services. Under the direction of the Chief Information Officer, the incumbent of this position will oversee and administer all IT projects within NYSED’s State Aid Management System (SAMS) Modernization Project. SAMS, in conjunction with several ancillary systems and files, is responsible for the collection, compilation, calculation, analysis, and payment of state aid to public school districts and BOCES in New York State. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Collaborate with other Modernization Directors to ensure cross-over work is implemented enterprise wide;
- Directly manage large and highly complex IT projects within the project;
- Plan, organize and direct the project management functions for IT projects and efforts within the project;
- Develop and maintain all project management plans for IT projects related to SAMS Modernization Project, including project charter, scope, schedule, risk management plans, communications plan, and organizational change management plans;
- Develop project IT budgets and review IT budgets for adherence to project budgets;
- Oversee the process for IT procurements, which includes developing procurement materials for IT components of the project:
- Review project schedules and interact with project managers, sponsors, stakeholders, team members and contracted vendors to facilitate adherence to project schedules and work;
- Work with SAMS and NYSED ITS executive sponsors to set goals for IT projects and periodically review them with the program sponsors;
- Coordinate project management functions and follow standards established by NYSED’s ITS’ Enterprise Architecture and Integration and Project Management and Systems Analysis units;
- Develop and recommend efficient staffing levels consistent with workload, and assign project managers and project personnel accordingly;
- Collaborate with the Finance Office and the Office of Counsel to monitor payments to contractors, and develop efficient practices for timely payment in conformance with contractual and statutory requirements;
- Assist other units within NYSED ITS to promote conformance with program and project objectives; and
- Provide oversight and direction to the SAMS Project Coordinator.
Candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree AND seven years of experience as a Program or Project Manager. Two years of qualifying experience must have been at a managerial level. A master’s degree may substitute for one year of qualifying experience.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
- Project Management Professional Certification;
- Experience designing and executing multi-project programs;
- Five years of experience leading multi-project program with significant IT modernization and organizational transformation goals;
- Five years of experience developing, executing, and monitoring project plans including scope, schedule, budget, resource, risk management, quality management, and communications plans;
- Five years of experience in vendor and contract management;
- Three years of experience managing a team of project managers;
- Experience with NYS procurement including the development of procurement materials and experience leading the procurement and contracting process;
- Experience managing cross-functional teams consisting of IT, Program area, and contractor resources;
- Demonstrated ability to champion technical and organizational change; and
- Demonstrated ability to align project goals and activities with strategic goals in an effort to create actionable tasks.
These will be temporary appointments. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
All NYSED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $146,225 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to OMSJOBS@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-530/51885) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.