THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Project Director, NS (PEF)
(Equated to M-5)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of the Chief Financial Officer is seeking candidates for a Project Director position in the Project Management Office. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Project Director will serve as the leader of the American Rescue Plan (ARP) Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) Project Management Office, supervising and coordinating the activities of federally funded project positions. The incumbent will ensure project staff working across the Office of Education Policy and the Office of Management Services within the New York State Education Department (NYSED) in six offices are coordinated in their mission and scope of work towards the goals and requirements of ARP ESSR as well as the strategies set forth in NYSED’s ARP ESSER plan. The incumbent will represent the Commissioner and NSYED at the national, state, and local levels. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversee the project staff working across the Office of Education Policy and the Office of Management Services within the New York State Education Department (NYSED) in six offices to provide a consistent and coordinated effort, ensuring the completion of the goals and requirements of ARP-ESSER;
- Respond to written requests from internal and external stakeholders;
- Work with NYSED leadership, external stakeholders, including the United States Department of Education, BOCES District Superintendents, the leadership of the “Big 5” city school districts (NYC, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, and Yonkers), charter schools, and educators to ensure ARP ESSER aims are met;
- Develop and maintain an ARP ESSER project workplan;
- Develop and ensure fidelity to standard operating procedures, communication protocols, monitoring protocols, and data collection/reporting processes;
- Coordinate monitoring, including site visits, of all ARP ESSER funded programs to determine if programs are operating in compliance with the governing rules and regulations;
- Provide technical assistance to internal and external stakeholders regarding ARP ESSER program implementation, as necessary;
- Ensure the implementation of the State’s ARP ESSER-related initiatives;
- Develop project work plans and timelines;
- Coordinate cross-project and office alignment;
- Create supporting project documentation;
- Monitor project performance metrics;
- Ensure quality-assurance methods are in place throughout implementation;
- Oversee the compilation of data needed to track the progress of participating local education agencies in implementing the ARP ESSER program to facilitate the provision of student interventions and supports where necessary;
- Serve as the liaison to the United States Department of Education for all ARP ESSER projects with NYSED leadership;
- Represent NYSED on inter and intra-agency committees, advisories and work groups to collaborate on best practices and initiatives regarding ARP ESSER-funded activities;
- Lead the ARP ESSER Performance Management Office to establishment performance metrics and instruments for evaluating ARP ESSER activities;
- Supervise and manage activities of assigned ARP ESSER Project Management Office staff; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Candidates must possess a master's degree AND:
1. Seven years of professional experience in grant administration/oversight of local, state, or federal grants in an education organization such as an SEA, LEA, or other school-based setting; OR
2. Seven years of professional project management experience in an education organization such as an SEA, LEA, or other school-based setting.
Three years of qualifying experience must have been at a managerial level.
This will be a temporary appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. This position will require 20% Statewide travel.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $157,338 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-501/51553) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.