THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Project Director, NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Performance Improvement Management Services is seeking candidates for a Project Director in the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS). The incumbent of this position will support NYSED’s Office of the Professions (OP) Modernization Program. OP is responsible for licensing and oversight of more than 50 professional titles, as well as professional corporations and pharmacy establishments. OP is working collaboratively with ITS to update technologies that no longer meet the needs of licensed professionals and others who rely on OP to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of the public through effective and efficient professional licensing and discipline. The incumbent of this position will serve as NYSED’s point person for all Information Technology (IT) aspects of the OP Modernization Program. The incumbent of this position must demonstrate experience in IT project, procurement, budget, and vendor management. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervise, train and evaluate employees;
- Oversee and administer all IT projects within the OP Modernization Program;
- Directly manage large and highly complex IT projects within the program;
- Plan, organize and direct the project management functions for IT projects and efforts within the program;
- Develop and maintain all project management plans for IT projects within this program, including project charter, scope, schedule, risk management plans, communications plan, and organizational change management plans;
- Develop project IT budgets and review IT budgets for adherence to project budgets;
- Develop procurement materials for IT components of the project;
- Oversee the process for IT procurements;
- Manage vendors contracted to assist with IT project work;
- Review project schedules and interact with project managers and sponsors, stakeholders, and team members to facilitate adherence to schedules;
- Work with OP and NYSED ITS executive sponsors to set goals for IT projects and periodically review them with the program sponsors;
- Serve as the liaison for NYSED ITS with the OP for all IT projects within the program;
- Coordinate project management functions and follow standards established by NYSED’s ITS’ Enterprise Architecture and Integration and Project Management and Systems Analysis units;
- Develop and recommend efficient staffing levels consistent with workload, and assign project managers and project personnel accordingly;
- Comply with and ensure all subordinate staff comply with NYSED and NYSED ITS and Information Security Office policies, standards, and procedures;
- Collaborate with the Finance Office and the Office of Counsel to monitor payments to contractors, and develop efficient practices for timely payment in conformance with contractual and statutory requirements;
- Participate in meetings as required with the Division of Budget and the Office of Information Technology Services; and
- Assist other units within NYSED ITS to promote conformance with program and project objectives.
Candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree AND seven years of experience as a program or project manager. Two years of the experience must have been at a managerial level.
- Project Management Professional certification;
- Experience designing and executing multi-project programs;
- Five years of experience leading multi-project program with significant IT modernization and organizational transformation goals;
- Five years of experience developing, executing, and monitoring project plans including scope, schedule, budget, resource, risk management, quality management, and communications plans;
- Five years of experience in vendor and contract management;
- Three years of experience managing a team of project managers;
- Experience with NYS procurement including the development of procurement materials and experience leading the procurement and contracting process;
- Experience managing cross-functional teams consisting of IT, program area, and contractor resources;
- Excellent verbal and oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities;
- Demonstrated ability to champion technical and organizational change;
- Demonstrated ability to align project goals and activities with strategic goals and to create actionable tasks that move an organization towards those goals; and
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate across organizations.
This will be a temporary appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $135,089 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-380/51510) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.