THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Project Director, NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Adult Career and Continuing Education Services – Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR) is seeking candidates for a Project Director position. This Office assist persons with disabilities to attain employment, educational and/or independent living goals. The incumbent of this position will serve as the Case Management System (CaMS) Redesign Project Director and lead the NYSED team to create and support an enterprise VR case management solution that offers NYSED and their consumers an automated solution for hosting all VR case management needs and services. Under the supervision of the Assistant Commissioner for ACCESS-VR, the incumbent will work with the Software as a Service (SaaS) vendor’s project manager to insure successful completion of the CaMS project and major initiatives on schedule and within budget to deliver quality product and services to NYSED. Other duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Utilize project management methodologies to work with business functional areas, technical teams and vendors to define systems and project priorities, scope, approach, resource requirements and allocation, master schedule, deliverables and funding;
- Develop project plans to specify goals, strategy, dependencies, staffing, scheduling, identification of risks, issues, contingency plans, and allocation of available resources;
- Drive standards and procedures for all project communication, including status reports and project management documentation;
- Identify and schedule project deliverables, milestones and required tasks;
- Assign tasks and responsibilities, and drive accountability to project team members;
- Direct and coordinate project resources to ensure project progresses on schedule and within budget;
- Work with CaMS redesign consultant project manager and NYSED leadership to support the delivery of key milestones;
- Review work plans and develop risk assessment;
- Coordinate vendor activities and monitor and track vendor deliverables and commitments;
- Provide updates to project team and NYSED leadership regarding milestone progress;
- Participate in integration program meetings and provide meeting minutes, as requested;
- Manage change control request process and work with State team to develop an impact assessment and cost review, as needed; and
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
Candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree and six years of professional experience in a position directly involved in evaluating, designing, developing, implementing or overseeing systems and process improvements relating to Information Technology Systems. Three years of experience must have been at a supervisory level or one year of experience must have been at a managerial level. A master’s degree may substitute for one year of experience.
Preference may be given to candidates who possess the following qualifications:
- Experience utilizing a structured project management methodology and formal tools and approaches;
- Demonstrated understanding of projects using a co-source resourcing model that includes both contractors and State staff;
- Vendor management background, including controlling costs, driving service excellence, and mitigating risks to gain increased value from vendors throughout the life of a contract;
- Change management background, both in transitioning individuals, teams and organizations to a desired future state as well as with project management processes wherein changes to the scope of a project are formally introduced and approved;
- Ability to manage independently in a dynamic environment with rapid development cycles, multifunctional and geographically dispersed project teams and tight project timeframes;
- Experience managing technology projects from conception to production, including all aspect of solution delivery, such as requirements gathering, scope definition, resource planning, budget management, status reporting, risk management and change control;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to translate technical requirements and issues into appropriate context;
- Excellent analytical skills, flexibility, responsiveness, self-motivation, creativity, and ability to multi-task, plan and organize;
- Experience working on a complex business reengineering and SaaS system or software development and integration project with multiple interfaces and technical components;
- Experience in an agency supporting a large end-to-end integration project; and
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred.
This will be a temporary appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $122,623 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. You must include the Box number (ACS-2200/40304) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.