THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Project Coordinator, NS (PEF)
(Equated to SG-26)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Higher Education is seeking candidates for a Project Coordinator position in the Office of Charter Schools. Under the supervision of the Supervisor Education Programs, the incumbent will work with charter schools directly to provide strategic direction and technical assistance on the expenditure of American Rescue Plan Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ARP-ESSER) funds, as well as provide monitoring and oversight to ensure compliance with ARP-ESSER requirements. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work closely with the Charter School Office and other ARP-ESSER team members to ensure that charter schools receive accurate and up-to-date fiscal and programmatic information on ARP-ESSER requirements;
- Provide strategic direction and technical assistance to charter schools on the expenditure of ARP-ESSER funds including fiscal, operational, and academic implications;
- Provide fiscal, operational, and academic monitoring and oversight to ensure that charter schools remain in compliance with ARP-ESSER and other legal requirements;
- Supervise staff to ensure compliance with protocols, procedures, and ARP-ESSER requirements;
- Implement procedures, protocols and guidelines for monitoring and evaluating Board of Regents authorized charter schools, including site visits, renewal visits, performance monitoring, charter revisions, non-renewals, revocations, and closures;
- Collect, review and analyze data and reports submitted by Board of Regents-authorized charter schools to assess student outcomes, financial risk, and performance benchmarks;
- Serve as school evaluation team leader for site visits at charter schools across New York State, including coordination with schools in advance of a visit, coordination of qualified site visitors to conduct focus group interviews, classroom observations, data gathering, and document review;
- Develop, support, and direct the activities of consultant and volunteer school site visitors;
- Assist in the development of written recommendations, reports, or memoranda containing policy and evidence-based analysis related to charter renewal, non-renewal and revocation;
- Assist with the collection of program data and preparation of relevant reports on charter school initiatives;
- Coordinate with the NYSED Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages and the Special Education Office to plan and implement events supporting technical assistance for charter schools through online platforms and in-person events;
- Implement procedures, protocols, and guidelines to evaluate applications for establishing new Board of Regents authorized charter schools;
- Provide guidance and oversight during the planning period for new Board of Regents authorized charter schools to ensure compliance with all applicable rules, laws, and regulations prior to opening for instruction; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree AND five years of experience in the field of education such as teaching, administrative work in a district, BOCES, or charter school, and/or work in educational policy including work in a state education department or charter school authorizer. A Master’s degree can substitute for one year of specialized experience.
At least two years of experience working in a position that includes the monitoring and oversight of charter schools.
This will be a temporary appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and work experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $105,681 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OHE-881/51566) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.