THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Project Coordinator, NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Performance Improvement and Management Services is seeking candidates for a Project Coordinator in the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS). The incumbent of this position will support NYSED’s Office of the Professions (OP) Modernization Program. OP is responsible for licensing and oversight of more than 50 professional titles, as well as professional corporations and pharmacy establishments. OP is working collaboratively with ITS to update technologies that no longer meet the needs of licensed professionals and others who rely on OP to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of the public through effective and efficient professional licensing and discipline. Under the direction of the Project Director, the incumbent of this position will be responsible for budget, vendor, and technical team management and will serve as the chief Information Technology (IT) architect and technical lead for the OP Modernization Program. The incumbent of this position must be able to work with vendors, project staff, and NYSED ITS staff in the context of multiple projects, and possess a broad knowledge of current and emerging technologies, frameworks, and platforms and significant experience and expertise in the design of a highly integrated architecture that has the resiliency, scalability, and extensibility to support current and future needs of the OP and NYSED. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve as NYSED’s technical lead for all projects in the OP Modernization Program;
- Plan, organize, and direct the design and implementation of the enterprise architecture components, platforms, hardware, and software required for the projects within the program;
- Take a leadership role in the NYSED ITS architecture governance process;
- Assist in leading, and participate in requirements meetings;
- Participate in the procurement of vendor services to assist with the analysis and design activities critical to the OP Modernization Program, including development of the “as-is” analysis artifacts, development of the future operational models and “to-be” artifacts, development of the future data and architectural models, and development of the roadmap, NPS costs, and staffing needs for implementation of those models;
- Provide architectural leadership to all projects within the OP modernization program, and help oversee and manage selected vendors during the execution phase of the OP modernization definition and design and the OP system of record projects;
- Adhere to ITS vendor management standards and processes, and review and help ensure the quality of contractor deliverables;
- Develop and maintain all IT architecture plans and diagrams for this program;
- Assist with developing project IT budgets, reviewing IT budgets, and monitoring adherence to IT budgets;
- Develop procurement materials for architectural components of the project;
- Manage vendors contracted to assist with IT architecture work;
- Coordinate the work of IT staff across multiple project teams and ITS operational teams, including NYSED ITS Business Solutions and Technical Services teams;
- Develop and recommend efficient IT staffing levels consistent with workload, and assign IT project personnel accordingly;
- Comply with, and ensure all subordinate program staff comply with NYSED and NYSED ITS and Information Security Office policies, standards, and procedures;
- Collaborate with the Project Director to develop efficient practices for timely payment in conformance with contractual and statutory requirements; and
- Assist other units within NYSED ITS to promote conformance with and support of program and architecture objectives.
Candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree AND six years of experience as an IT project architectural and technical lead. Three years of experience must have been at a supervisory level, or one year of experience must have been at a managerial level.
- Five years of experience leading IT teams in programs and projects with significant IT modernization and organizational transformation goals;
- Five years of experience helping to develop, execute, and monitor project plans including scope, schedule, budget, resource, risk management, quality management, and communications plans;
- Three years of experience in vendor and contract management;
- Three years of experience in transforming functional and non-functional requirements into enterprise architectural and solution designs;
- Three years of experience in reviewing and recommending solution architectures and system designs;
- Three years of experience managing an IT team;
- Experience with NYS procurement including the development of procurement materials;
- Experience working with cross-functional teams consisting of IT, program area, and contractor resources;
- Strong verbal and oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities;
- Demonstrated ability to champion technical change;
- Demonstrated ability to align architectural and technical project work with strategic IT technology goals and to create actionable tasks that move an organization towards those goals; and
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate across organizational boundaries.
This will be a temporary appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $122,623 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-437/51511) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.