THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Project Assistant, Grade 23 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Performance Improvement Management Services is seeking candidates for a Project Assistant position in the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS). This Office supports NYSED’s Office of the Professions (OP) Modernization Program. OP is responsible for licensing and oversight of more than 50 professional titles, as well as professional corporations and pharmacy establishments. OP is working collaboratively with ITS to update technologies that no longer meet the needs of licensed professionals and others who rely on OP to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of the public through effective and efficient professional licensing and discipline. Under the direction of an Information Technology Specialist 4, the incumbent of this position will play an integral role in creating a modern online application for professionals served by OP. NYSED's ITS has created new, responsive web application interfaces for more than 45 of the professions OP currently licenses, resulting in immediate benefit to applicants and improving back-end efficiencies. To ensure that this implementation and support continue to progress as part of the OP Modernization Program, the incumbent of this position will be the hands-on lead developer for technical components of design and implementation of the online license application. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform system design and create program specifications for the OP online license application;
- Collaborate with the OP program office to manage the implementation of new professions in the prelicensure system;
- Participate in and contribute to the work of OP Modernization Program project teams, as required;
- Manage the technical intake and tracking of improvements, requested features, and bugs for the OP online license application, which is primarily developed using Java;
- Lead the development of Application Programming Interface (APIs) for the newly developed modern OP system and its public-information website (Drupal platform) and discipline system
- Contribute to the development, testing, and implementation of any services written related to the online license application;
- Provide hands-on coding and implementation support for all assigned Java programming tasks for the OP online application, and manage product quality by conducting quality assurance checks;
- Assist the team with coding and implementation of any Java related tasks;
- Perform system integration tests;
- Ensure all code has written integration and unit tests, and all code written by developer and subordinates has been reviewed and tested thoroughly;
- Manage version control system to track all code written using standardized development workflow;
- Ensure the architecture of the online license application solution is aligned with ITS enterprise architecture standards, and make adjustments as needed;
- Oversee the regular updates of all services and third-party libraries to prevent dependencies from becoming too outdated;
- Oversee release management of multiple online license application releases;
- Provide regular status updates to supervisors and NYSED program office; and
- Supervise, mentor, and build technical skill sets of subordinate staff.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
- Experience developing and maintaining APIs
- Experience with SOA-driven application development;
- Experience with agile development and continuous integration;
- Experience using software project tools, such as Confluence and JIRA;
- Experience with data migration / data transformation;
- Three or more years of experience with responsive and accessible web development; and
- Three or more years of experience with data modeling.
This will be a temporary appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or work experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $100,342 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (PIMS-573/51518) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.