THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Project Assistant, NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Higher Education is seeking candidates for a Project Assistant position in the Office of Facilities Planning. Under the supervision of the Coordinator of School Facilities Services, the incumbent will coordinate with the Project Assistant, salary grade 24, in the Office of Facilities Planning to complete code review for proposed American Rescue Plan Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ARP-ESSER) funded projects. This Office has been given the responsibility of managing Local Educational Agencies (LEA) requests for Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) funded construction projects, including but not limited to HVAC improvements and renovations for social distancing to provide additional COVID transmission mitigation for staff and students. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage the receipt, recording, and tracking of ESSER funded projects;
- Review bid documents for compliance with the NYS Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code as well as compliance with the Commissioner’s health and safety regulations and the Department’s Manual of Planning Standards prior to the issuance of a building permit;
- Coordinate the project review with other members of the Office involved in reviews of correlating projects;
- Review and approve contract change orders submitted for previously approved projects;
- Provide technical assistance to school districts, architects and engineers working on public school projects;
- Respond to correspondence from a wide range of individuals, including parents and school administrators; and
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
Candidates must possess, either:
- A bachelor’s degree AND four years of full-time qualifying experience* as described below; OR
- An associate’s degree AND six years of full-time qualifying experience* as described below.
*Qualifying Experience: Experience in any combination of:
The enforcement, inspection, development, or teaching of building or fire codes; OR
The design of buildings in a position such as a specifications writer, draftsperson, architect, or engineer.
NON-QUALIFYING EXPERIENCE: Experience performing design, construction, or inspection of bridges and/or highways; labor law, wage or health and safety inspections/investigations not primarily related to building or fire codes; experience as a firefighter where your responsibilities do not include conducting fire or building code inspections as a primary assignment; and clerical or support duties associated with fire or building code inspections are NOT considered qualifying experience.
This will be a temporary appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or work experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $103,405 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-914/51550) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.