THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Project Assistant, NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Higher Education is seeking candidates for three Project Assistant positions in the Office of School Governance, Policy, and Religious and Independent Schools (SORIS). Under the supervision of the Project Assistant, SG-23, the incumbents of these positions will provide front-line technical assistance and analysis to school districts in relation to funding received from the American Rescue Plan Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ARP-ESSER) Act. Duties of these positions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist local school districts on education funding mechanisms to ensure timely, accurate and efficient funding activities;
- Assist with the calculation of financial support including aid formulas, grants distributions, and aid payment schedules to program offices and local agencies to ensure that the process of each agency area proceeds in a timely manner;
- Assist with the identification and monitoring of the status of high-risk spending and those areas that are not maximizing the use of federal monies;
- Collect statistical and financial data on school district activities and performance as related to ARP funding;
- Assist with tracking the flow of documents from the program offices and from local agencies, and the development and delivery of tracing on federal documentation requirements and procedures;
- Assist with review and analysis activities with other State and federal agencies;
- Assist with the review of records for compliance with State and federal laws and regulations;
- Prepare reports on performance and activities for State and federal control agencies;
- Connect program office staff with training on statute, regulations, policy and procedure, and the use of State and federal computer systems and software;
- Assist with district business process reengineering and design; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree AND two years specialized experience in an educational agency or facility regulated under federal or New York State education laws, rules, or regulations performing one or more of the following activities: calculating financial support, reviewing criteria, and authorizing payments, auditing/reviewing fiscal transactions, monitoring, and overseeing financial activity, or analyzing financial data.
This will be a temporary appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or work experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $77,912 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-913/51554, 51555, 51556) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.