THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Project Assistant, NS (PEF)
(Equated to SG-14)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Chief Financial Officer is seeking candidates for three Project Assistant positions within the Office of Grants Finance. Under the supervision of the Project Assistant, salary grade 23, the incumbents of these positions will assist with the processing, review, and payment of the CARES Act grant programs. Duties of these positions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist with fiscal transactions in the Department’s internal grant processing system (CAFÉ) and the Statewide Financial System (SFS) related to grants and/or grant contracts;
- Gather information required to complete monthly reconciliations of all CARES Act grant programs;
- Compile information related to CARES Act grant programs as requested by the Grants Finance management team;
- Monitor and review system generated reports for incomplete or inaccurate data related to CARES Act grant programs;
- Conduct first level review of CARES Act Budgets, Budget Amendments, and Final Expenditure Reports;
- Communicate with LEA grantees to request supporting documentation related to payment reviews conducted by the Department and by the Office of the State Comptroller;
- Assist with administrative assignments that may include sorting and reviewing reports and file organization;
- Assist with inquiries, both written and verbal, from internal or external stakeholders regarding CARES Act grant programs; and
- Perform additional administrative duties, as assigned.
Candidates must possess:
Either 1. A bachelor’s degree;
Or 2. An associate’s degree AND two years of professional experience in any of the following areas: grant management, program management, accounting, data management, or finance.
Preference may be given to candidates who possess proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
These will be temporary appointments. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $62,806 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the positions are filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to OMSJOBS@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-500/51522, 51523, 51524) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by SED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.