THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Project Assistant, NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Performance Improvement Management Services is seeking candidates for a Project Assistant in the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS). The incumbent of this position will support NYSED’s Office of the Professions (OP) Modernization Program. OP is responsible for licensing and oversight of more than 50 professional titles, as well as professional corporations and pharmacy establishments. OP is working collaboratively with ITS to update technologies that no longer meet the needs of licensed professionals and others who rely on OP to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of the public through effective and efficient professional licensing and discipline. Under the direction of the Project Coordinator, the incumbent of this position will assist with the technical planning, analysis, design, and procurement activities for various data and services integration. The incumbent will also help lead activities related to the implementation of an enterprise architecture that can support the future state of OP licensing services. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Collaborate with selected vendors and NYSED staff and contribute to the technical analysis of integration components of the “As Is” and “To Be” states;
- Assist with the analysis of OP future system requirements to identify platforms, technologies, services, data, and integration needs that are required to implement a highly integrated, loosely coupled enterprise architecture that has the resiliency, scalability, and extensibility to support future operational models of OP;
- Assist with identifying and implementing modifications required of existing NYSED information technology (IT) systems to support the OP Modernization Program;
- Assist with developing non-functional requirements for the future state of OP licensing services, including technical, security, usability, interface, integration, performance, maintainability, and operational requirements;
- Assist with the development and execution of procurements of platforms and technologies required to support the future OP business operational and data models;
- Lead the implementation work for the above-mentioned platforms and technologies, including oversight of vendor activities;
- Manage planning, technical analysis, and implementation activities for multiple workstreams, including OP interfaces, documentation and records management, user roles definition and access management, and integration of data and services required by the OP future business operational models;
- Facilitate meetings, document meeting notes, and actively manage action items; and
- Manage the delivery of assigned work packages and provide regular status updates to the Project Coordinator.
Candidates must have eight years of experience integrating IT systems. A bachelor’s degree may be substituted for four years of this experience. One year of this experience must have been at the supervisory level.
- Three years of experience working on projects with significant IT modernization and organizational transformation goals;
- Three years of experience helping to develop, execute, and monitor project plans including scope, schedule, budget, resource, risk management, quality management, and communications plans;
- Three years of experience in transforming functional and non-functional requirements into integration and platform requirements;
- Three years of experience with integration platforms and technologies;
- Two years of experience supervising an IT team;
- Two years of experience in developing and documenting non-functional and integration requirements;
- Two years of experience in vendor management;
- Two years of experience in fit-gap analysis;
- Experience with NYS procurement including the development of procurement materials;
- Experience working with cross-functional teams consisting of IT and contractor resources;
- Good verbal and oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities;
- Demonstrated ability to align IT integration and platform activities with project and IT strategic goals; and
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate across organizational boundaries.
This will be a temporary appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $102,661 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-459/51516) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.