THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Project Assistant, NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of the Professions is seeking candidates for a Project Assistant position. The Office of the Professions (OP) is responsible for licensing and oversite of more than 50 professional titles, as well as professional corporations and pharmacy establishments. OP is working collaboratively with Information Technology Services (ITS) to undertake a comprehensive Modernization Program. This initiative will update technologies that no longer meet the needs of licensed professionals and others who rely on OP to ensure the health, safety and welfare of the public through effective and efficient professional licensing and discipline.
Under the direct supervision of the Supervisor of Administrative Analysis, the incumbent of this position will oversee business analysis documentation, and will be responsible for performing detailed requirements analysis, documenting processes, and performing user acceptance testing. The Project Assistant will play an integral role implementing the initiation and activities to create the planning documents and design models for the OP Modernization Program. Duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Elicit and analyze business needs and requirements using several tools, techniques and approaches;
- Produce effective requirements documentation which includes diagrams, case scenarios, process and data flowcharts;
- Evaluate business processes, anticipate requirements, uncover areas for improvement, and develop and implement solutions;
- Conduct meetings and presentations to share ideas and findings;
- Document project scope using a variety of models to describe current and desired states;
- Engage with customers and stakeholders to gather and prioritize product requirements;
- Facilitate the ideation process, gather needs requirements and research data; and
- Participate in user testing, review and analyze business process deficiencies requiring resolution during or after implementation.
Candidates must have a minimum of seven years of relevant experience in a business analyst role. A bachelor’s degree may be substitute for four years of this experience.
- Possess knowledge of NYSED’s Office of Professions’ operations, systems, and business processes;
- Strong organizational, time-management, planning skills and proven project leadership experience;
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with all levels with the department;
- Exceptional follow through and the ability to apply appropriate judgement to ensure that solutions meet customer expectations; and
- Demonstrated skills for problem solving, resourcefulness, and adaptability.
This will be a temporary appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $92,693 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1191/51515) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.