THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Project Assistant, NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of the Professions is seeking candidates for a Project Assistant position. The Office of the Professions (OP) is responsible for licensing and oversight of more than 50 licensed professions, as well as professional corporations and pharmacy establishments. OP is working collaboratively with SED’s Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) to undertake a comprehensive Modernization Program. This initiative will update technologies that no longer meet the needs of licensed professionals and others who rely on OP to ensure the health, safety and welfare of the public through effective and efficient professional licensing and discipline.
Under the direct supervision of the Supervisor of Administrative Analysis, the incumbent of this position will be responsible for business analysis coordination, and develop the vision, planning and execution on a variety of business improvement initiatives within the OP. The incumbent will implement the initiation and activities to create the planning documents and design models for the OP Modernization Program. Duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assist with creating the vision of multiple projects through communication with various stakeholders both internally and externally;
- Manage the entire life cycle of projects, from strategic planning and tactical activities through adoption;
- Facilitate meetings attended by stakeholders, Department management and IT staff to discuss specific project objectives and resolve problems or issues;
- Work closely with the development team to achieve goals, guaranteeing projects are executed in an accurate, timely and efficient manner;
- Maintain development road maps to ensure technology resources are aligned with business goals;
- Engage with customers and stakeholders to gather and prioritize product requirements;
- Facilitate the ideation process, gathering needs requirements and researching data;
- Coordinate procurement efforts which include Request for Proposals (RFP) and contract development; and
- Participate in user testing, reviewing and analyzing business process deficiencies requiring resolution during or after implementation.
Candidates must have a minimum of seven years of relevant experience in a business analyst role. A bachelor’s degree may be substitute for four years of this experience.
- Strong attention to detail with organizational and project management skills;
- Capacity to prioritize, show initiative and handle multiple tasks;
- The ability to think analytically and be able to explain difficult concepts to non-technical users; and
- The ability to work independently as well as collaborate effectively with a variety of stakeholders.
This will be a temporary appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $92,693 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1191/51514) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.