THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Project Assistant, NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Performance Improvement Management Services is seeking candidates for a Project Assistant in the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS). The incumbent of this position will support NYSED’s Office of the Professions (OP) Modernization Program. OP is responsible for licensing and oversight of more than 50 professional titles, as well as professional corporations and pharmacy establishments. OP is working collaboratively with ITS to update technologies that no longer meet the needs of licensed professionals and others who rely on OP to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of the public through effective and efficient professional licensing and discipline. Under the direction of the Project Coordinator, the incumbent of this position will assist with the procurement of services required to execute the planning and analysis phases of the OP Modernization Program and the system of record projects. These projects address the analysis and design of solutions to support all OP services, and the analysis and design of an independent OP system of record to serve as the authoritative source of program information. The incumbent will also serve as a technical lead and help coordinate IT analysis and design work for these projects. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in leading systems analysis and design activities for all projects within the OP Modernization Program;
- Assist with the development of project plans and procurement artifacts critical to the OP licensing modernization definition and design project and the OP system of record project;
- Participate in the procurement of vendor services to assist with the analysis and design activities critical to the OP Modernization Program, including development of the “as-is” analysis artifacts, development of the future operational models and “to-be” artifacts, development of the future data and architectural models, and development of the roadmap, NPS costs, and staffing needs for implementation of those models;
- Provide ITS technical leadership and help manage vendors during the execution of the OP modernization definition and design and the OP system of record projects;
- Coordinate project activities with ITS Technical Services and Business Solutions Unit staff;
- Adhere to ITS vendor management standards and processes, and review and help ensure the quality of contractor deliverables;
- Facilitate meetings, document meeting notes, and actively manage action items; and
- Manage the delivery of assigned work packages and provide regular status updates to the Project Coordinator.
Candidates must have eight years of experience as a Lead IT System Analyst. One year of this experience must have been at the supervisory level. A bachelor’s degree may be substituted for four years of general experience. An associate’s degree may be substituted for two years of general experience.
- Three years of experience working on projects with significant IT modernization and organizational transformation goals;
- Three years of experience helping to develop, execute, and monitor project plans including scope, schedule, budget, resource, risk management, quality management, and communications plans;
- Three years of experience in transforming functional and non-functional requirements into solution requirements;
- Three years of experience leading and documenting requirements sessions;
- Two years of experience supervising an IT team;
- Two years of experience in developing and reviewing design documents;
- Two years of experience in vendor management;
- Two years of experience performing fit-gap analysis;
- Experience with NYS procurement, including the development of procurement materials;
- Experience working with cross-functional teams consisting of IT, program area, and contractor resources;
- Experience with Six-Sigma or NYS LEAN (Empire Belt) methodologies;
- Strong verbal and oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities;
- Demonstrated ability to align IT designs with project and IT strategic goals; and
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate across organizational boundaries.
This will be a temporary appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $102,661 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-378/51517) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.