THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Project Assistant, NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Performance Improvement Management Services is seeking candidates for a Project Assistant in the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS). The incumbent of this position will support NYSED’s Office of the Professions (OP) Modernization Program. OP is responsible for licensing and oversight of more than 50 professional titles, as well as professional corporations and pharmacy establishments. OP is working collaboratively with ITS to update technologies that no longer meet the needs of licensed professionals and others who rely on OP to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of the public through effective and efficient professional licensing and discipline. Under the direction of an Information Technology Specialist 4, the incumbent of this position will play an integral role in implementing a modernized web presence for OP that will improve customer experience for licensed professionals and applicants. The modernized website will result in immediate benefit to OP customers, improving the customer experience and overall service. To ensure that this customer service modernization continues to progress as part of the OP Modernization Program, the incumbent of this position will be the lead developer for OP website modernization. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervise, mentor, and build technical skill sets of subordinate staff;
- Lead technical website modernization activities and the delivery of a re-designed, robust, scalable and secure Drupal solution that meets OP’s needs;
- Provide hands-on technical support for designing, building, configuring, testing, migrating, troubleshooting and managing Drupal components and content in collaboration with OP program office and NYSED ITS staff;
- Contribute to website construction and management standards, and Drupal hosted platform operational guidelines;
- Participate in Drupal system updates that are regularly rolled out to minimize security threats and downtime;
- Conduct unit, system, and end-to-end integration testing, and fix website modernization related defects;
- Assist with tasks related to the implementation of Drupal 8 and the migration of existing Drupal 7 code to Drupal 8;
- Assist with tasks required to ensure the security of the OP website;
- Manage multiple releases by following standard release management processes; and
- Provide regular status updates to supervisors and NYSED program office.
- Experience building websites using Drupal 8;
- Experience designing and developing responsive design websites;
- Experience working with PHP Programming Language;
- Experience migrating Drupal 7 websites to Drupal 8;
- Experience with Acquia Cloud Environment;
- Experience building websites meeting WCAG 2.0 Level AA Requirements;
- Experience using Version Control (e.g. Git, Subversion, Bitbucket);
- Experience using CSS Preprocessor (e.g. SASS, LESS, Stylus); and
- Experience using automated testing tools and creating testing scripts.
This will be a temporary appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $92,693 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-379/51519) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.