THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Program Research Specialist 2, Grade 18 (PEF)
Program Research Specialist Trainee 1 (SG-NS)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Program Research Specialist 2 position in the Office of Information and Reporting Services. This Office is responsible for the collection and reporting of student and educator data for school districts, public schools, and nonpublic schools in New York State. The incumbent of this position will fulfill data requests from internal program offices and the public, create reports for secure data sharing with districts and schools, and manage the quality control checking of data for the team responsible for the development of New York State Report Cards, Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) accountability, and Demonstrable Improvement for the identification of Receivership schools. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Collect, process, analyze, and interpret data following analytical methods;
• Quality control check data in tables, code, and reports to ensure accuracy, identify trends, and highlight significant deltas;
• Analyze and interpret statistical data to identify significant differences in relationships among sources of information, providing summaries and trends in data and any factors that could affect the results of research;
• Create reports for data verification and information sharing;
• Proficiently use data analytic software, such as MS ACCESS, Toad, SAS Enterprise Guide, SQL, Excel, etc.
• Document data analysis, quality control, and report creation processes;
• Communicate both orally and in writing with staff within the team, agency, and program office, as well as with technical specialists in other program offices;
• Provide support for projects, obtain and validate information, check conclusions, and resolve problems;
• Provide technical assistance to schools, local educational agencies, other public or private agencies, professional groups, and parents;
• May provide supervision to lower level staff; and
• Perform other duties, as assigned.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Program Research Specialist 2.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Program Research Specialist 2: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service as an Assistant in Educational Research.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Program Research Specialist Trainee 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service as a Program Aide AND possess a bachelor’s degree or higher AND have nine semester credit hours in statistics, economics, econometrics, research methods, data analysis, or data modeling.
Section 70.4 Transfer to Program Research Specialist 2: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for Section 70.4 transfer to Program Research Specialist 2 if they have standing on the Civil Service eligibility list for this title AND are currently an active New York State employee in a title allocated at a salary grade 16 or higher.
Section 52.6 Transfer to Program Research Specialist 2: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated at SG-16 or higher deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
Section 52.6 Transfer to Program Research Specialist Trainee 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated at SG-11 or higher deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
This will be contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
The salary listed above applies to candidates appointed to Program Research Specialist 2, SG-18. The hiring rate for candidates appointed to Program Research Specialist Trainee 1 starts at $42,986 and for current NYS employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Candidates hired into a traineeship will be advanced to Program Research Specialist 2 upon successful completion of a two-year traineeship.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 26, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1831/00075) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.