THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Professional Engineer 1 (Mechanical), Grade 24 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Higher Education is seeking candidates for two Professional Engineer 1 (Mechanical) positions in the Office of Facilities and Planning. This Office is primarily responsible for code enforcement, life safety, fire safety and health in all public K-12 schools and BOCES in the State, exclusive of New York City. The incumbents of these positions will be responsible for the review and approval of engineering construction documents for capital construction undertaken by public school districts and BOCES that require the approval of the Commissioner of Education. Duties of these positions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review construction documents (drawings, specifications, and other supporting documentation) for conformance with applicable codes, rules, regulations, and standards;
- Review changes submitted for previously approved projects for conformance with applicable codes, rules, regulations, and standards;
- Provide technical assistance to school districts, architects, and engineers working on public school projects;
- Respond to correspondence from a wide range of individuals, including parents, citizens, school administrators, consultants, and legislators;
- Perform research, as necessary, to resolve code related issues;
- Perform special assignments, as required, such as reviewing and drafting responses for legislative initiatives, drafting newsletter articles for the field, and drafting regulations;
- Make field visits and inspections, as required, to investigate code compliance, complaints, or emergency conditions, and provide on-site technical advice;
- Conduct presentations to constituent groups to promote the Department’s programs and policies; and
- Develop and maintain expertise in K-12 school facility design, construction, and operational issues.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Professional Engineer 1 (Mechanical) AND possess a New York State Professional Engineer’s license and current registration.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter. If you do not have current standing on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you are encouraged to apply at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/engineering/oc/.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Professional Engineer 1 with one of the following parenthetical title designations: Mechanical, Mechanical/HVAC, Electrical, Civil, Civil/Construction, Civil/Geotechnical, Civil/Structural, Civil/Transportation, Environmental, Industrial or Fire Protection AND possess a New York State Professional Engineer’s license and current registration.
55b/c Appointment: These positions are eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
These will be contingent permanent or permanent appointments. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of New York State Professional Engineers license and current registration will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Candidates are required to possess New York State Professional Engineers license and current registration at the time of hire. Continued employment as a Professional Engineer 1 (Mechanical) is dependent upon maintaining New York State Professional Engineers license and current registration. Failure to maintain New York State Professional Engineers license and current registration will result in removal from employment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. These positions will require occasional (10%) in-state travel.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $105,472 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 14, 2022 to OHEjobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. You must include the Box numbers (OHE-855/65018 & OHE-857/04418) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.