THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Professional Engineer 1 (Mechanical), Grade 24 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Professional Engineer 1 (Mechanical) position in the Office of Facilities Planning. This Office is primarily responsible for code enforcement, life safety, fire safety and health in all public K-12 schools and BOCES in the State, exclusive of New York City. The incumbent of this position will be responsible for review and approval of engineering construction documents for capital construction undertaken by public school districts and BOCES that require the approval of the Commissioner of Education. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review construction documents (drawings, specifications, and other supporting documentation) for conformance with applicable codes, rules, regulations, and standards;
- Review changes submitted for previously approved projects for conformance with applicable codes, rules, regulations, and standards;
- Provide technical assistance to school districts, architects, and engineers working on public school projects;
- Respond to correspondence from a wide range of individuals, including parents, citizens, school administrators, consultants, and legislators;
- Perform research, as necessary, to resolve code related issues;
- Perform special assignments, as required, such as reviewing and drafting responses for legislative initiatives, drafting newsletter articles for the field, and drafting regulations;
- Make field visits and inspections, as required, to investigate code compliance, complaints, or emergency conditions, and provide on-site technical advice;
- Conduct presentations to constituent groups to promote the Department’s programs and policies; and
- Develop and maintain expertise in K-12 school facility design, construction, and operational issues.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Professional Engineer 1 (Mechanical) AND possess a New York State Professional Engineer’s license and current registration.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Professional Engineer 1 (Mechanical) Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Professional Engineer 1 with one of the following parenthetical title designations: Mechanical, Mechanical/HVAC, Electrical, Civil, Civil/Construction, Civil/Geotechnical, Civil/Structural, Civil/Transportation, Environmental, Industrial or Fire Protection AND possess a New York State Professional Engineer’s license and current registration.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of licensure and registration will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Continued employment as a Professional Engineer 1 is dependent upon maintaining a New York State Professional Engineer’s license and current registration. Failure to maintain this license with current registration will result in removal from the position.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $97,448 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 29, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (OHE-693/04418) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.