THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Plant Superintendent C, Grade 21 (PEF)
(Open to current NYS Employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Performance Improvement and Management Services is seeking candidates for a Plant Superintendent C position in the Office of Facilities and Business Services. Under the direction of the Operations Support Manager 2, the incumbent of this position will be responsible for the supervision, coordination and technical direction of maintenance, repair, renovation, new construction, and alterations for the entire Education Building and Annex facility, including utility and mechanical systems as well as buildings and grounds. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Communicate with supervisor clearly and concisely concerning maintenance projects, improvements to operating procedures, discussions of maintenance and scheduling problems and solutions, and provide periodic reports on maintenance activities;
- Communicate with and oversee work performed by contractors to ensure compliance with contract specifications and plans;
- Provide daily oversight and supervision of the operations and maintenance unit by establishing work priorities, developing work schedules, implementing applicable rules, standards and policies, evaluating performance, and coordinating the various activities performed by the staff or contractors;
- Provide input for the annual budget and manage assigned funding, coordinate with the Purchasing Unit for assigned facilities, and ensure all State finance procedures for buying, traveling and other budgetary matters are adhered to;
- Maintain a work order program in accordance with established policies including preventive maintenance, rehabilitation of mechanical and structural systems, grounds maintenance, facility repairs and alterations, and all in-house self-help projects completed by staff or contractors;
- Perform supervisory duties at the Education Building and Annex facility including but not limited to administering training, providing direct supervision, and completing performance evaluations of subordinate staff;
- Assist in the development of Standard Operating Procedures, utilize the Statewide Financial System and other applicable databases, maintain local records and ensure proper follow up on actions and projects;
- Travel periodically to other facilities to attend trainings and complete other required duties, as needed;
- Coordinate with Director of Operations for hiring, counseling, discipline and other personnel related matters; and
- Perform other job duties as assigned, which may require periodic overtime.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in any of the following titles: Maintenance Supervisor 3, Maintenance Supervisor 4, Plant Utilities Engineer 3, Plant Utilities Engineer 4, Thruway Maintenance Supervisor 2.
Non-competitive Promotion: If there are three or fewer qualified candidates, a permanent appointment may be made as a non-competitive promotion pursuant to Section 52.7 of the Civil Service Law. To qualify, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Building Maintenance Supervisor 2, Maintenance Supervisor 2 (Building), Maintenance Supervisor 3, or Plant Utilities Engineer 3 OR two years of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Building Maintenance Supervisor 1, Maintenance Supervisor 1 (Building), Maintenance Supervisor 2, Plant Utilities Engineer 2, Public Buildings Manager 2, or Regional Park Maintenance Supervisor.
In accordance with Section 52.7 of the Civil Service Law, this notice advises all employees of the New York State Education Department of our intention to conduct a non-competitive promotional examination for the position of Plant Superintendent C in Albany, NY. Permanent appointment may be made by non-competitive promotion of an applicant who meets the position’s minimum qualifications if a non-competitive examination is approved by the Department of Civil Service.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of work experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. This position will require 10% in-state travel.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $90,657 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 7, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (PIMS-583/40355) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.