THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Office Assistant 3 (Human Resources), Grade 14 (CSEA-Admin)
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is seeking candidates for an Office Assistant 3 (Human Resources) position in the New York State School for the Blind (NYSSB). Under the direction of the Institution Steward, the incumbent will perform payroll, benefits, and other duties in the business office of the NYSSB. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Calculate and verify salaries, salary increases, longevity payments, performance advances, shift differentials, overtime meals, extra service, summer school rates, balance of contract payments, court orders and other payments, penalties, and garnishments;
- Calculate sick leave at half pay and eligibility, adjustments for vacation, and sick and personal leave credits for part-time, full-time, and non-statutory employees;
- Oversee time and attendance and assist with the Family Medical Leave Act program;
- Provide customer service to employees, managers, State Education Department and other NYS and private agencies regarding various payroll and personnel topics;
- Conduct new employee orientations including benefits, payroll, and personnel topics;
- Implement the Worker’s Compensation program and benefits, track all required documents, and enter proper transactions;
- Collect, calculate, and monitor the In-Service Training Units for instructional staff;
- Act as NYSSB’s Health Benefits Administrator and ensure that health insurance and retirement documents are processed in a timely manner;
- Prepare and monitor all new employee recruitment packages and pre-employment clearances; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Office Assistant 3 (Human Resources).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the Office Assistant 3 (Human Resources) eligible list may be considered for appointment. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Office Assistant 3 (Human Resources): Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-12 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
This will be a 12-month, permanent appointment. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $59,186 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 24, 2019 to email@example.com (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (BAT-346/00005) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.