THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
THE NEW YORK STATE SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF
401 Turin Street, Rome, New York 13440
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
Nurse 2, Grade 16 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Nurse 2 position in the New York State School for the Deaf. The incumbent of this position will be responsible for the health care of students and the supervision of Nurse 1s and Licensed Practical Nurses. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide nursing intervention services for day and residential students;
- Communicate appropriately with students, staff, parents, and other health agencies with tact, confidence, and in accordance with school procedures;
- Develop and maintain communication with parents, staff, and students;
- Maintain accurate documentation of health records;
- Organize and plan the 24-hour medical coverage for the Health Center;
- Train and supervise nursing staff;
- Prepare a budget for the Health Center;
- Ensure that yearly instruction requirements for the school staff are provided as well as mandatory initial training for new staff;
- Coordinate, plan, and implement departmental goals;
- Participate in meetings with Heads of Department, the Clinical Physician, and other staff to plan and implement department goals;
- Participate in the Intake Evaluation of new students;
- Maintain inventory standards for medicine, controlled drugs, narcotics;
- Prepare clinical and administrative reports;
- Maintain infection control standards;
- Conduct health teaching and counseling; and
- Provide supportive and restorative care.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Nurse 2. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for Nurse 2, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter. To qualify for the eligible list, you must be licensed and currently registered to practice nursing in New York State AND have one year of full-time post-RN licensure clinical nursing experience. Information about the Nurse 2 continuous recruitment examination can be found at https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/announcements/oc-cr/decentralize....
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title SG-14 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. To qualify for transfer, candidates must be licensed and currently registered to practice nursing in New York State AND have one year of full-time post-RN licensure clinical nursing experience. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
- Experience working with deaf students; and
- The ability to communicate through ASL/Sign Language.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of licensure, registration and experience as a Registered Professional Nurse will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Candidates are required to possess a license and a registration as a Registered Professional Nurse at the time of hire. Continued employment as a Nurse 2 is dependent upon maintaining a license and registration as a Registered Professional Nurse. Failure to maintain a license and registration as a Registered Professional Nurse will result in removal from employment. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. The work schedule for this position includes hours of Monday through Friday, 7:00am to 3:00pm.
All SED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
* This position is eligible for an additional $12,000 Oneida County geographic pay.
** Leads to a maximum salary of $68,511 with annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a completed Application for NYS Examinations (https://www.cs.ny.gov/extdocs/pdf/nysapp.pdf), resume, and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (ROM-315/00201) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by SED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.