THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Nurse 1, Grade 14 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Nurse 1 position in the New York State School for the Blind. The incumbent of this position will be responsible for the health care of students and the supervision of Licensed Practical Nurses. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in establishing a behavior management plan that addresses any pertinent medical information and implement the plan consistently;
- Assist in the development and monitoring of individual medical records and data collection;
- Participate in Home-Residential-Health Center-School communication for program consistency;
- Provide nurse intervention, documentation and case finding;
- Provide supportive and/or restorative care, provide teaching and counseling on health issues, and instruct students about their medications as well as everyday hazards in their environment;
- Administer medications, administer nebulizer treatments, administer and/or disconnect G-tube feeding on a student and provide related guidance and instruction;
- Provide first aid according to policy, procedure, and individual care plans to injured students;
- Admit and/or chart ill students to the sick bay and providing nursing care, report and refer ill students to the doctor’s office for evaluation and treatment;
- Participate in staff training;
- Prepare clinical and administrative reports including the Medicaid end of the month report;
- Maintain infection control standards; and
- Function as a member of a treatment team.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Nurse 1.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Nurse 1. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for Nurse 1, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter. To qualify for the eligible list, you must possess a current license and registration as a Registered Professional Nurse, OR possess a limited permit to practice nursing in New York State, OR be eligible to enter the examination for such a license. Information about the Nurse 1 continuous recruitment examination can be found at https://www.cs.ny.gov/announarchive/announcements/20-826.cfm.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title SG-12 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. Candidates must also possess a license and a current registration to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in New York State , OR possess a limited permit to practice nursing in New York State, OR be eligible to enter the examination for such a license to qualify for transfer. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
55 b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55 b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55 b/c eligibility letter.
This will be a permanent position. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. At the time of hire, candidates are required to possess a current license and registration as a Registered Professional Nurse, or possess a limited permit to practice nursing in New York State, or be eligible to enter the examination for such a license. Failure to obtain a license and registration as a Registered Professional Nurse within one (1) year of employment will result in removal from employment. After one (1) year of employment, failure to maintain a license and registration as a Registered Professional Nurse will result in removal from employment. Candidates must have the ability to perform moderate to heavy lifting of children. The work schedule for this position will be Monday through Friday 7:00am – 3:00pm.
*This position is eligible for an additional $12,000 for Genesee County geographic pay.
**Leads to a maximum salary of $58,028 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (BAT-405/00307) of the position in all correspondence and in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. The Civil Service Application for NYS Exams is available at https://www.cs.ny.gov/extdocs/pdf/nysapp.pdf.